Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 3:17:16 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Why are you pre-ordering? There is absolutely no need to so and it will cost more to order now. Even with BD, the price will almost certainly drop from where it currently is.

Hear! Hear! One of the things I’ve learnt recently with the new Silmarillion release.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 4:14:08 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Stu wrote:

Why are you pre-ordering? There is absolutely no need to so and it will cost more to order now. Even with BD, the price will almost certainly drop from where it currently is.

Hear! Hear! One of the things I’ve learnt recently with the new Silmarillion release.

Agreed. I believe there's this mad rush, pre-order frenzy (not limited to this edition, and not limited to Tolkien) because people get excited.

But really: there is ZERO bearing on your order getting sent out if you pre-order now, in three weeks, or in three months.

The absolute latest I push pre-orders is 1 month before the date. This will give retailers ample time to request the appropriate number from the supplier.
27 Mar, 2021 (edited)
2021-3-27 5:29:37 AM UTC
I see that the trade edition is £60. That's very steep, IMHO. I'll definitely just be going straight to the deluxe.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 7:13:12 AM UTC
It is stated on Amazon that this edition has a page number of 1248. The 50th Anniversary Edition has a page number of 1158, this means 90 pages less. I wonder which content will be in there. Even if you count the new added illustrations, you won't get this page number.
Furthermore, illustrated pages have not yet been counted, if you look at other published editions.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 7:14:46 AM UTC
I am trying to keep the first post in this thread updated with links to book sellers, so if you find a link that is not there please post it in the thread and I will add it to the list.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/n ... php?topic_id=3992&start=0
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 7:27:32 AM UTC

Ithildin wrote:

It is stated on Amazon that this edition has a page number of 1248. The 50th Anniversary Edition has a page number of 1158, this means 90 pages less. I wonder which content will be in there. Even if you count the new added illustrations, you won't get this page number.
Furthermore, illustrated pages have not yet been counted, if you look at other published editions.

Could just be different typesetting.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 7:45:04 AM UTC
I have pre-ordered both UK editions from Amazon. Amazon is probably the only company that I would pre-order from with months to go to release.

1) They don't charge you until you get the books, other sellers charge you straight away.
2) You get to pay the lowest price to release date from Amazon, not the price on the day you pre-ordered.
3) If another book seller comes out with a really good price, I will cancel the order or refuse the books on delivery from Amazon and still get the cheaper price.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 12:20:38 PM UTC
Maybe not so important for an author like Tolkien but pre-orders are very important for authors. Pre-orders help authors get better marketing campaigns and as such better sales.

I always pre-order the books I am buying at the earliest opportunity unless I plan to wait for a cheaper price. It is more about loyalty that I order early, especially with the authors I collect or authors I feel I want to support, like a debut that I like the sound of.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 1:20:31 PM UTC
perfectly. And then if lower prices appear, nothing prevents to change ... Everyone has their own method and each their way of doing things and it s very well like that
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 2:02:07 PM UTC
Been to Amz repeatedly. Always out of stock & no preorder button.
Able to preorder on Book depository though. Looks like Waterstones will let you preorder.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us