Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Mike Ploog Drawings and Bakshi's Film Storyboard

27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 8:04:17 PM UTC

Today I was looking over the internet for images and design concepts related to the Lord of the Rings animated movie.
I found Mike Ploog drawings very nice and continued to look into some samples of the original storyboard (I am not sure if those were all drawn by him or not). While doing that I was thinking: wouldn't it be wounderful if Mike's drawings on the Lord of the Rings and the original storyboard were collected and published in a book?

So my questions:
1) Were Mike Ploog drawings for the Lord of the Rings ever collected and published?
2) Has anyone seen the whole original storyboard? Was it including something after where animated movie's plot stopped? Was it ever published somewhere (in a book or any other form)?
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 8:32:38 PM UTC
I don't think all of the art for Lord of the Rings was collected in one place - I would assume much of it was "work for hire" meaning that the Bakshi studio owns it, not Mike.

Some can be found in his art book, though: https://www.amazon.com/Art-Ploog-Mike/ ... collsguid-20&linkCode=osi
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 8:42:49 PM UTC
Thanks Urulókë, I'll look into it!
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 8:45:47 PM UTC
I did send a note to Ralph Bakshi to see if I can get any info there, as well.
27 Mar, 2021
2021-3-27 11:57:55 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

Good luck. I own several pieces of Ploog art related to the development of the movie.

Several storyboards have been sold over the years, some split up into individual scenes, which is a shame IMO. Ploog didn't do all of them, however. David Jonas did some as well, perhaps others. I have a lot of art from the Bakshi film as I was really into it as a kid.

4338_605fc663b8eb3.jpg 2544X1696 px

4338_605fc66d1ca6c.jpg 1696X2544 px

4338_605fc67ce2005.jpg 2592X1936 px
29 Mar, 2021
2021-3-29 5:49:44 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

Good luck. I own several pieces of Ploog art related to the development of the movie.

Several storyboards have been sold over the years, some split up into individual scenes, which is a shame IMO. Ploog didn't do all of them, however. David Jonas did some as well, perhaps others. I have a lot of art from the Bakshi film as I was really into it as a kid.

Awesome art Tapuvae!

Eddie (Ralph's son) and I are talking. He's going to see if Ralph is up for an interview, as well. In the meantime:
  • original art, sketches, cels etc. are available from https://www.bakshistudio.com/copy-of-rb-character-art - including Mike Ploog original art.
  • There won't be a movie art book due to legal limitations.
  • If there is a particular scene or character you are looking for, contact them (https://twitter.com/ralphbakshi is the easiest I think) and they will go through their archives and let you know what is available for purchase.
  • Scroll through the history of their twitter feed, there is a ton of art there for you to enjoy!
29 Mar, 2021
2021-3-29 6:59:18 PM UTC
Thanks for the infos! An interview with Ralph would be nice!
It's a pity that a movie art book cannot be done...
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 12:42:13 AM UTC

Ecthelion wrote:

Thanks for the infos! An interview with Ralph would be nice!
It's a pity that a movie art book cannot be done...

Yes Ralph couldn't even include LOTR in his magnum opus Unfiltered. They had the pages all set and everything and I think released them online but not in the official print book. I have a ton of animation cels from LOTR including some original backgrounds which are much rarer than the color copies currently being sold. I get why, but apparently a few decades ago the original backgrounsd were being sold and have made their way to the secondary market. I have bought several times from Bakshi directly, including all three of the pieces shown above.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us