Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 1:58:36 AM UTC
So, um, I just have to ask: why is more versions of LotR (whatever that means) in print better than fewer versions? I mean, a cynic could easily say that a proliferation of versions is a naked money grab at the expense of completists. Alternatively, one could argue that having only a single version would unify reference and citation. What, objectively, is the "right" number? And who gets to decide?
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 2:09:19 AM UTC

Aelfwine wrote:

So, um, I just have to ask: why is more versions of LotR (whatever that means) in print better than fewer versions? I mean, a cynic could easily say that a proliferation of versions is a naked money grab at the expense of completists. Alternatively, one could argue that having only a single version would unify reference and citation. What, objectively, is the "right" number? And who gets to decide?

Fair questions!

The fact that multiple versions stay in print seems to indicate that the market wants it. Yes that might include collectors buying multiple copies of course, but from my brief overview just now counting things up, there are : size (pocket vs trade vs hardcover vs oversized); illustrated (Alan Lee vs Tolkien forthcoming) vs not illustrated. Single volume vs three volumes. Dark, brooding covers vs pastoral vs abstract. And so on. Each of those editions sell to different subsets of the market.

I enjoy all the options out there, personally, but I'm not in charge. Even if I were, 18 versions does seem like it could use a review for consolidation. Is "reference and citation" more important than getting more people to read the book because one of the cover variations caught their eye? Not my call!
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 2:52:39 AM UTC
These are great points Urulókë.

Different “series” or versions of the same books do of course cater to audiences with different aesthetic tastes, budgets, reading preferences, and so on. There’s something for (almost) everyone.

Then of course there are hardcore completists like some of us here for whom this may seem like overkill. But then that’s on us... not the publishers.
30 Mar, 2021
2021-3-30 3:22:28 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Yep, I would fully expect quality to drop. Americans typically expect and pay far lower prices for books, and consequently the quality is usually far lower. The only way the quality of UK books will remain at its current level is if there is a separate line of US books. My guess is that it will be cheaper and easier to just give everyone the same slightly worse (than current HarperCollins) books and accept the loss of a few of the existing UK customers for whom that doesn't work.

HC could foreseeably drop the quality and price for their trade stuff, and then double down on releasing deluxe books while raising prices on the audience still captive to that sort of thing. Assuming the billion-dollar Amazon show is a hit, I reckon there will be a fair few takers on either end of that spectrum. This could even offer headroom to ensure the deluxe versions are, indeed, deluxe.
30 Sep, 2021
2021-9-30 6:40:39 PM UTC
How HarperCollins Will Integrate HMH Trade

Mariner Books, once HMH’s trade paperback publisher of literary fiction and nonfiction, will merge with HC’s existing Custom House list under the Mariner banner. Peter Hubbard, who was named Custom House v-p and editorial director in January 2020, will lead the combined imprint, and will report to Stehlik. The new Mariner Books will house the majority of the HMH backlist, including its classics by George Orwell, Virginia Woolf, Rachel Carson, and the Best American series. The Custom House name will be phased out.

Stehlik will oversee the North American Tolkien publishing program in partnership with HC’s other English language divisions around the world.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by ... gration-of-hmh-trade.html
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us