Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 5:02:16 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Read through this thread - it's not 'shipping damage' it's 'production fault'

Of course I've read... I know that all books "have minor damage along the front flap fold", but mine is not only there, but in the corners, top of spine, etc. The typical damage when a book is just shoved into a box without anything else to protect it.
16 Apr, 2021
2021-4-16 5:33:04 PM UTC
Ah, if it's beyond that, then it's damage by courier for sure
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 12:29:11 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Of course I've read... I know that all books "have minor damage along the front flap fold", but mine is not only there, but in the corners, top of spine, etc. The typical damage when a book is just shoved into a box without anything else to protect it.

In the scheme of things it's nothing of course... but for me that kind of minor damage is among the most frustrating just because I tend to feel guilty asking for replacements/exchanges. I imagine the cust service reps thinking I'm nuts; 'who cares if the there is a tiny crease here or there, you can still read it'. I always explain that it's for purposes of collecting and I never get hassled at all, but still.
17 Apr, 2021
2021-4-17 4:28:56 AM UTC

Berelach wrote:

Ligandil wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

In the scheme of things it's nothing of course... but for me that kind of minor damage is among the most frustrating just because I tend to feel guilty asking for replacements/exchanges. I imagine the cust service reps thinking I'm nuts; 'who cares if the there is a tiny crease here or there, you can still read it'. I always explain that it's for purposes of collecting and I never get hassled at all, but still.

Indeed ... I get discouraged by just thinking of the hassle of asking for a refund/replacement. Since the damage is minor, I'll let this one pass. Plus, if they send a replacement, it's would likely arrive in the same condition if the packaging is the same.
22 Apr, 2021
2021-4-22 5:01:37 PM UTC
After 2 tries with Amazon, I finally received my copy from Kennys.ie. Unfortunately the DJ is somewhat damaged (a bit less than amazon copies) and I must say packaging wasn't good at all since the book was free to move inside the package.

Oh whatever... I'll take it as it is.
22 Apr, 2021
2021-4-22 5:23:10 PM UTC
As someone mentioned in some thread, it's pretty sad that while collectors take great care of their books (air, dehumidifiers, etc.), most booksellers do not and simply pack the books with no care at all.
22 Apr, 2021
2021-4-22 8:27:55 PM UTC
Will be collector gold in years to come -- for the one of two people that have an undamaged copy!
27 Apr, 2021 (edited)
2021-4-27 9:32:18 PM UTC
Got my order from Kenny's

I ordered a standard and a deluxe (which was intended as a gift for someone as I already got my copy from BD -- so no major need for the copy in collecting terms)

result:

They sent me two copies of the trade edition and no deluxe (so I have emailed them and will see what happens - I doubt they will be able to get the deluxe, but hopefully they will refund me the payment for it). The paperwork in each box was identical listing both books, so I can see why they might cock it up.

Two of the standard amazon-type mailers, both tightly applied. One of the trade editions was undamaged save for the crease along the front fold, as expected (and not a shipping issue). The other got a little bit of rubbing at the front bottom left, and I'm also tempted to think that is warehouse/HarperCollins damage, given the book could not have moved in the mailer.
19 Jul, 2021
2021-7-19 2:43:17 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Got my order from Kenny's

I ordered a standard and a deluxe (which was intended as a gift for someone as I already got my copy from BD -- so no major need for the copy in collecting terms)

result:

They sent me two copies of the trade edition and no deluxe (so I have emailed them and will see what happens - I doubt they will be able to get the deluxe, but hopefully they will refund me the payment for it). The paperwork in each box was identical listing both books, so I can see why they might cock it up.

Two of the standard amazon-type mailers, both tightly applied. One of the trade editions was undamaged save for the crease along the front fold, as expected (and not a shipping issue). The other got a little bit of rubbing at the front bottom left, and I'm also tempted to think that is warehouse/HarperCollins damage, given the book could not have moved in the mailer.

Just to add to this one - Kenny's finally got the deluxe back in stock and shipped it to me. Arrived today in perfect condition (in its box, with bubblewrap around that and then in the a typical mailer). So, mistake was made and they put it right. It all took a while due to stock availability, but that's fine. Of note, it is still the first print I assume (as the paper insert still states first print of 4,000 copies).
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us