Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

History of Middle Earth paperback set

9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 1:09:39 PM UTC

Hello all,

Apologies in advance if this has been posted in the wrong section of the forum, this is my first post here.
I am desperately seeking this 12 book set of paperbacks from the History of Middle Earth published by HarperCollins, and wondering if I’m able to purchase it somewhere or if someone has one for sale? It seems even tracking down individual volumes has been difficult. Would greatly appreciate some help with this!
I’ll attach some photos so you can get a better idea of which set in referring to.

Thank you and as a long time lurker I’m glad to officially join this forum!

5189_6097ded8a819d.jpeg 1455X996 px

5189_6097ded8a84f4.jpeg 1066X1600 px
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 1:43:05 PM UTC
First of all, welcome in!

These share ISBN numbers with the later "black set" that can be purchased new, so I can see how these would be difficult for you to track down a complete set. I believe that these got multiple printings each so they should be out there.

One tool that has been very helpful for me when looking for editions that share ISBN numbers with others is https://www.bookfinder.com/

You can use the advanced search option and it will search all the major online sellers for the book you are looking for.
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 3:29:30 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

These share ISBN numbers with the later "black set" that can be purchased new, so I can see how these would be difficult for you to track down a complete set. I believe that these got multiple printings each so they should be out there.

One tool that has been very helpful for me when looking for editions that share ISBN numbers with others is https://www.bookfinder.com/

You can use the advanced search option and it will search all the major online sellers for the book you are looking for.

Just out of curiosity, how is BookFinder (which is indeed a useful search tool) any more useful than any other site which allows ISBN searching? And how does this negate the problem you pointed out? Surely searching by ISBN is exactly what you don't want to be doing in respect to these volumes? All you're going to get is stock listings from stock sellers.

O/w, good luck Nan Elmoth! These were the copies I bought and read for HoME. Although, by MR, I think they'd changed to the black spine Howe covers; so my "set" doesn't match. Just my reading copies now.
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 4:38:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice so far guys.

So I’ve just been using BookFinder for the past couple of hours and it honestly didn’t feel much different from doing the usual ISBN search on AbeBooks. I’m only getting people selling the same black framed paperbacks that you can order anywhere. I guess I’ll have to keep digging, but if anyone has any spare copies of any of the books I’ll be more than happy to purchase them!
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 5:34:03 PM UTC
Yip, as I stated.

The vast majority of listings for these types of paperbacks are not catering to the collector; they simply won't have the detail(s) that you require. You're just going to have to focus your attention on sellers who actually provide images. Use the ABE filter & avoid all the eBay stock listings. As mentioned, they're certainly out there; just hiding in plain sight...
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 6:36:47 PM UTC
You have to contact the actual bookstore to check the printing. Some stores just can't or won't help.
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 8:19:21 PM UTC
Just use ebay UK and avoid anything with a stock photo.
9 May, 2021
2021-5-9 10:12:55 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how is BookFinder (which is indeed a useful search tool) any more useful than any other site which allows ISBN searching? And how does this negate the problem you pointed out? Surely searching by ISBN is exactly what you don't want to be doing in respect to these volumes? All you're going to get is stock listings from stock sellers.

O/w, good luck Nan Elmoth! These were the copies I bought and read for HoME. Although, by MR, I think they'd changed to the black spine Howe covers; so my "set" doesn't match. Just my reading copies now.

It's convenient for me as you have all the major sellers in one spot so it's easier and or more efficient in cases like these to sift through the stock images vs. the real ones.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us