Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 3:43:14 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

It'll feature the usual motif on both book and slipcase, and have a ribbon-marker like the rest in that format. Nothing extra. (like the goodies included in The Hobbit Facsimile Gift Set)

As this is framed as a factual statement and not speculation, I assume you have sources that have confirmed?
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:16:36 PM UTC
Yes. Product description:

This elegant slipcased edition presents for collectors the first ever publication of J.R.R. Tolkien's final writings on Middle-earth, covering a wide range of subjects. Stamped in gold foil, and printed on heavyweight acid-free paper, it includes a ribbon marker and is housed in a custom-built matching slipcase.

It is well known that J.R.R. Tolkien published The Hobbit in 1937 and The Lord of the Rings in 1954-5. What may be less known is that he continued to write about Middle-earth in the decades that followed, right up until the years before his death in 1973.

For him, Middle-earth was part of an entire world to be explored, and the writings in The Nature of Middle-earth reveal the journeys that he took as he sought to better understand his unique creation. From sweeping themes as complex and profound as the metaphysics of Elvish immortality and reincarnation, and the Powers of the Valar, to the more earth-bound subjects of the lands and beasts of Numenor, the geography of the Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor, and even who had beards!

This new collection, which has been edited by Carl F Hostetter, one of the world's leading Tolkien experts, is a veritable treasure-trove offering readers a chance to peer over Professor Tolkien's shoulder at the very moment of discovery: and on every page, Middle-earth is once again brought to extraordinary life.

ISBN 9780008440572

"Stamped in gold foil, and printed on heavyweight acid-free paper, it includes a ribbon marker and is housed in a custom-built matching slipcase" are common descriptions of prior/the 'usual' collector's editions.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:20:07 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Nothing extra. (like the goodies included in The Hobbit Facsimile Gift Set)

Where did this statement come from, I can't see it in the product description?
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:23:58 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Exactly my point: it doesn't mention extra things like an audio CD, a supplementary map or a booklet being included.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:26:49 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

Trotter wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

Exactly my point: it doesn't mention extra things like an audio CD, a supplementary map or a booklet being included.
In that case then the statement came from you and is speculation.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:31:09 PM UTC
No.

Here is the description for The Hobbit Facsimile Gift set, which clearly indicates extra contents:

This sumptuous gift set includes a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, the only edition where one can now read the original version of the story before Tolkien re-edited it to become the one enjoyed by readers since 1951.

The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937, with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design, nearly a dozen black & white illustrations and two black & red maps by the author himself, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted shortly afterwards. History was already being made.

The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text - particularly those to chapter 5, when Tolkien decided in 1947 to revise the text to bring it better into accord with events as they were developing in its 'sequel', The Lord of the Rings - mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult.

This special commemorative gift set includes the first edition, so that readers of all ages - not just 'children between the ages of 5 and 9', as Rayner Unwin famously declared in his report on the original submission - can finally enjoy Tolkien's story as it originally appeared. It also includes an exclusive CD of archive recordings that capture Tolkien reading from The Hobbit, a special copy of Thror's map which reveals the secret moon-runes when held to the light, and an accompanying booklet that relates the history of The Hobbit, and includes connected writings by JRR Tolkien.

ISBN: 9780008259549

I am merely pointing out different product descriptions to point out that the contents are part of the description. NOWHERE did I speculate.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:43:59 PM UTC

insurrbution wrote:

No.

Here is the description for The Hobbit Facsimile Gift set, which clearly indicates extra contents:

I am merely pointing out different product descriptions to point out that the contents are part of the description. NOWHERE did I speculate.

You are comparing a product description for a released book, to a draft product description that describes a pre-release (and still not finalized). These draft descriptions almost always change once the book has gone to press and all of the design elements are finalized. If you recall, the slipcased Hobbit Facsimile edition described all the bonus material, but then upon release had none of them.

Conversely, sets with bonus material almost never mention them in early drafts so that they can get a big marketing moment out of the "reveal" once everything is settled.

You may be correct that the final edition doesn't have bonus materials in it. But assuming text scraped from a bookseller listing as definitive this early in the process, is pure speculation.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:52:04 PM UTC
I completely agree with you that things might change at the last minute.

My opinion was based around what is CURRENTLY the official description. For The Hobbit Facsimile Edition, there was supposed to be the map, CD etc included when it was FIRST first announced.....but, shortly before publication, they dropped all the 'extra' stuff, and did The Hobbit Facsimile Gift Set with what was removed from what appeared in the 2016 edition.

I will fully own up to being wrong, due to something being changed. But, as of this moment, looking at the current descriptions is not speculation. If I seemed testy, that was why.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:54:10 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

insurrbution wrote:

No.

You are comparing a product description for a released book, to a draft product description that describes a pre-release (and still not finalized). These draft descriptions almost always change once the book has gone to press and all of the design elements are finalized. If you recall, the slipcased Hobbit Facsimile edition described all the bonus material, but then upon release had none of them.

Conversely, sets with bonus material almost never mention them in early drafts so that they can get a big marketing moment out of the "reveal" once everything is settled.

You may be correct that the final edition doesn't have bonus materials in it. But assuming text scraped from a bookseller listing as definitive this early in the process, is pure speculation.

Agreed, insurrbution you're assuming nothing will change between now and the release of the book (which hardly ever happens) Really until the book releases, nothing is definitive and everything is speculation and must be framed as such..."right now it says this" or "at this moment we think this" otherwise it's confusing for people who come on here for answers.
14 May, 2021
2021-5-14 5:55:47 PM UTC
Valid point. I suppose the official word to be taken as The Truth would be when the publisher/marketing team officially announces something; such as posts on the J.R.R. Tolkien facebook page.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us