Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 May, 2021
2021-5-21 8:42:04 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

I am not going to pretend I like much of what has been posted here musically, but that is music and art in general, we all like different things. But I am a big music fan, more into artists and bands like Bowie, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, lots of grunge and so on but I do admire what many of the examples in this thread have done with Tolkien and the themes they have brought into musical form. I think some of these artists could have very easily sat in a writers room and come up with a damned incredible Tolkien adaptation.

I agree. I think it's wonderful how Tolkien has influenced and inspired many musicians of all musical genres.
21 May, 2021
2021-5-21 8:55:01 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

onthetrail wrote:

I am not going to pretend I like much of what has been posted here musically, but that is music and art in general, we all like different things. But I am a big music fan, more into artists and bands like Bowie, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, lots of grunge and so on but I do admire what many of the examples in this thread have done with Tolkien and the themes they have brought into musical form. I think some of these artists could have very easily sat in a writers room and come up with a damned incredible Tolkien adaptation.

I agree. I think it's wonderful how Tolkien has influenced and inspired many musicians of all musical genres.

Absolutely. Across almost all genres their are fans and they have created some great Tolkien inspired music.

It is a shame that Tolkien was never able to influence Beethoven. Although I hear Beethoven in pretty much everything so maybe I don't really need that.
22 May, 2021
2021-5-22 4:10:12 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

- Max: Nightfall in Middle-earth it's such a great album! I always wear the shirt with the cover art proudly.

The cover art was great. I had to get the tee.

101_60a884245bc79.jpg 2092X1942 px
22 May, 2021
2021-5-22 4:11:11 AM UTC
The back.

101_60a8845f5fc58.jpg 2320X2291 px
22 May, 2021
2021-5-22 4:29:20 AM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

It is a shame that Tolkien was never able to influence Beethoven

Haha this is something I had never thought about. Gives me goosebumps (in a good way).

Arbor wrote:

The cover art was great. I had to get the tee.

Majestic! Love at first sight. The tour of the album itself =O, what a superb item.
22 May, 2021 (edited)
2021-5-22 12:54:52 PM UTC
Someone mentioned Nightwish...

I haven't properly listened to them in years, decade perhaps - since their original singer left and that was in 2005/6. If my memory does serve me right, they weren't really directly inspired by Tolkien per se but more by fantasy genre in total (they're Finnish, it kinda comes with territory!). Occasional mention here and there, but nothing that's firmly planted in my memory. Could be I'm simply wrong, it's been a long time really.
That song above not only has hilarious video but also sports a few M-E references.
22 May, 2021
2021-5-22 5:12:30 PM UTC

gobbledygook wrote:

Someone mentioned Nightwish...

Wishmaster - NW

I haven't properly listened to them in years, decade perhaps - since their original singer left and that was in 2005/6. If my memory does serve me right, they weren't really directly inspired by Tolkien per se but more by fantasy genre in total (they're Finnish, it kinda comes with territory!). Occasional mention here and there, but nothing that's firmly planted in my memory. Could be I'm simply wrong, it's been a long time really.
That song above not only has hilarious video but also sports a few M-E references.

Nice video

Their new singer, Floor Jansen, is really, really good. Not as operatic as Tarja, but more powerful and flexible, in my opinion. Here's a 2013 Wacken performance.

31 May, 2021
2021-5-31 2:29:48 PM UTC
I found this very interesting talk by Brian Egede-Pedersen at the The Tolkien Society Seminar 2020: Adapting Tolkien in the World of Heavy Metal, which focuses on Battlelore with a brief intro to Tolkien Metal. Hopefully you enjoy it!

31 May, 2021
2021-5-31 4:09:52 PM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

Nice video

Their new singer, Floor Jansen, is really, really good. Not as operatic as Tarja, but more powerful and flexible, in my opinion. Here's a 2013 Wacken performance.

I totally missed this post!
Floor is great but in my opinion, she isn't really the best fit for their music - especially for their older stuff. Though, if I'm being honest, I'm not a fan of their newer stuff. It's just really horrible.

Might I add - Great topic!
1 Jun, 2021
2021-6-1 3:20:46 PM UTC
The Walking Tree title Music in Middle-earth has

An Impenetrable Darkness: An Examination of the Influence of J.R.R. Tolkien on Black Metal Music. Michael Cunningham
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us