Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

28 May, 2021
2021-5-28 2:40:14 AM UTC

Ligandil wrote:

It does look magnificent but I don’t think I’ll ever pay $1000 for a single book, unless it’s a one-of-a-kind item.

I kind of have resigned myself to never own one of these super deluxe CoH.

I wouldn't pay $1000+ either, tbh. It really is a nice book to handle and experience (even the smell), but I think once you get to that price point there are better things to spend money on. Of course, everyone's mileage varies with these things.
28 May, 2021
2021-5-28 7:03:04 AM UTC
For me, it was very expensive at the time. Had never spent anything like £350 on a book in 2007. And, when I think about it, I have spent over that on only a few occassions since.
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 6:33:18 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

For me, it was very expensive at the time. Had never spent anything like £350 on a book in 2007. And, when I think about it, I have spent over that on only a few occassions since.

Likewise. I have spent more than that on only 3 occasions that I can recall.
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 10:53:57 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Then both of you are very lucky. ? The rest of us, who started collecting Tolkien books years later than you did, has to deal with high prices since the time of the movies for books you could buy at the time the were published.
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 1:18:48 PM UTC

laurin666 wrote:

Stu wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

Then both of you are very lucky. ? The rest of us, who started collecting Tolkien books years later than you did, has to deal with high prices since the time of the movies for books you could buy at the time the were published.

Almost all of my collecting has been post-films; assuming you're referring to the first PJ LotR films. I've also acquired some of my most prized copies within the last 5 years. I think it really depends what area of Tolkien you collect. The Silmarillion (my focus) has never been particularly expensive to collect. Right now is the exception.
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 3:15:34 PM UTC

laurin666 wrote:

I always find very interesting to read the tales of the Elder Days of Collecting

Khamûl wrote:

The Silmarillion (my focus) has never been particularly expensive to collect. Right now is the exception.

I'm also interested in collecting The Silmarillion copies! I only have 5 (2 are international), but I plan to get some more. By any chance have you shared pictures of your collection somewhere?
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 4:01:39 PM UTC
I've posted the odd (poor camera-phone) photo on here before.

I see you also mention "international" copies. I'm not clear why this term is being more frequently used. I understand (assuming you're referring to UK copies) what it means, but "export" (as per Hammond) or "Commonwealth" is probably more conventional, and accurate.
29 May, 2021
2021-5-29 4:28:14 PM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

I've posted the odd (poor camera-phone) photo on here before.

I see you also mention "international" copies. I'm not clear why this term is being more frequently used. I understand (assuming you're referring to UK copies) what it means, but "export" (as per Hammond) or "Commonwealth" is probably more conventional, and accurate.

Oh no, I meant copies in languages other than English (for example, I own an Italian and soon this German edition). Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at your picture!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us