Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 1:45:46 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Sold for £23,000 + approximately £6000 buyers fees.

The Auctioneer said that the books came from a house clearance, so the seller will be getting a nice surprise from this sale.

A house clearance? Wow, what unbelievable luck for them, if luck you call it.
27 Jul, 2021 (edited)
2021-7-27 2:23:48 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Yes, exactly the same as your post about the Super Deluxe Silmarillion Auction highlighted it to the dealers

Ops...I am sorry for it. Now I understand why you "missed" it, it was strange indeed as you are posting all normally.
If you tell me next time I will avoid to highlight a possible objective of yours.

Anyway I think that this service of highlighting auctions here should be rethinked as it's just increasing prices and damage collectors while helping dealers and speculators...

(as we "serious" collectors we all know how to use automatic search with the magic word "Tolkien" in them...)
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 2:39:08 PM UTC

galbus wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Yes, exactly the same as your post about the Super Deluxe Silmarillion Auction highlighted it to the dealers

Ops...sorry now I understand why you "missed" it, it was strange indeed as you are posting all normally.
Tell me next time so that I will not highlight your objectives.

I was just pointing out that you posted about that auction, it is one that I had not seen. If you are unhappy with us posting about interesting upcoming auctions on this website then I am sorry, but it is something that we have done on this site for a long time and are not going to stop.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 2:51:12 PM UTC
As added above I think that this service of highlighting auctions here could be rethinked as it's just increasing prices and damage collectors while helping dealers and speculators.

I have noticed big differences in prices between what is highlighted here and what is not, so is this helpful to collectors or more a damage?
One thing is to highlight eBay listing but for auctions on big auction portals well catalogued and advertised is it really needed to give them even more visibility before the auction?

(as we "serious" tolkien collectors we all know how to use automatic search with the magic word "Tolkien" in them...)
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 2:52:16 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

galbus wrote:

Trotter wrote:

Ops...sorry now I understand why you "missed" it, it was strange indeed as you are posting all normally.
Tell me next time so that I will not highlight your objectives.

I was just pointing out that you posted about that auction, it is one that I had not seen. If you are unhappy with us posting about interesting upcoming auctions on this website then I am sorry, but it is something that we have done on this site for a long time and are not going to stop.

Have to agree with Trotter on this one as I think highlighting Tolkien auctions on this site is a good thing for collectors to be able to easily keep track of what certain items are selling for. I don't think that us simply putting the listing here is affecting the price very much. People who make it their business to buy and sell books are going to know about auctions like this regardless of whether they are posted here or not. The market for Tolkien is what it is right now for a variety of reasons.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 3:05:31 PM UTC
I agree, much as it would be nice to think so, I don't think that posting about an auction on this site, significantly affects the sale value.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 3:11:26 PM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Have to agree with Trotter on this one as I think highlighting Tolkien auctions on this site is a good thing for collectors to be able to easily keep track of what certain items are selling for. I don't think that us simply putting the listing here is affecting the price very much. People who make it their business to buy and sell books are going to know about auctions like this regardless of whether they are posted here or not. The market for Tolkien is what it is right now for a variety of reasons.

I agree that the market is strong for many reasons but I am pretty sure that highlighting here the auctions is increasing the prices even more, this is a public forum more and more followed and read by different types of actors.
If the aim is to keep track of what certain items are selling for (which is indeed useful for collectors) why not posting and commenting auctions when they are closed?
I have noticed that many interesting eBay auctions here are posted only when already expired (and of course I can understand why..) so why not try to do the same with normal auctions?
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 3:12:43 PM UTC
Just to counter balance this thread
I don’t think it makes much of a difference but it certainly highlights to some of auctions they have missed and thus will by this factor alone potentially increase sale values .
I thought we did talk about some time not highlighting such auctions till they had ended ?
?????????
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 4:41:29 PM UTC
I was hoping this auction might go 'under the radar' to give me a better chance to purchase, so was disappointed to find it highlighted here.
27 Jul, 2021
2021-7-27 4:46:09 PM UTC

Entshelm wrote:

I was hoping this auction might go 'under the radar' to give me a better chance to purchase, so was disappointed to find it highlighted here.

It is highly unlikely that this auction would have gone 'under the radar' as it was also advertised elsewhere by the auction house. This is why it being on this site makes very little difference.

Auctions that do go 'under the radar' are were it is not advertised correctly, this was properly advertised as a second impression Hobbit from 1937 with a dust-jacket and signed by Tolkien.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us