Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 May, 2023
2023-5-16 2:53:11 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Yeah, I’m sad about it. I was just about to finally buy a copy.

It seems the Tolkien Shop still has a copy (possibly multiple): https://www.tolkienshop.com/contents/en-uk/p10955.html
16 May, 2023
2023-5-16 5:13:18 PM UTC

Éarendel wrote:

Philomythos wrote:

It seems the Tolkien Shop still has a copy (possibly multiple): https://www.tolkienshop.com/contents/en-uk/p10955.html

Thanks – But I was specifically referring to the paperback 2nd edn. (I did buy the hardcover at the exhibition.)
16 May, 2023
2023-5-16 5:20:10 PM UTC
The picture is misleading, but René's description clearly says it is the paperback 2nd edition with the Simon Tolkien introduction.
16 May, 2023
2023-5-16 5:20:15 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Éarendel wrote:

Philomythos wrote:

Thanks – But I was specifically referring to the paperback 2nd edn. (I did buy the hardcover at the exhibition.)

That link is the paperback.
16 May, 2023
2023-5-16 7:29:33 PM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

The picture is misleading, but René's description clearly says it is the paperback 2nd edition with the Simon Tolkien introduction.

Thanks also. Clearly is a strong word though. It says “1st edition”, and then says paperback with ST foreword. At any rate the price is the main thing at issue here. I was fixing to buy one at $55, and that’s about as much as it’s worth to me.
17 May, 2023
2023-5-17 4:37:26 AM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Thanks also. Clearly is a strong word though. It says “1st edition”, and then says paperback with ST foreword. At any rate the price is the main thing at issue here. I was fixing to buy one at $55, and that’s about as much as it’s worth to me.

Sorry to say, but there was plenty of time to buy it for the regular price.
But when you’re located in Europe, the price at Tolkienwinkel is not that bad. It includes shipping, tax and duties you normally would pay when you import it from the US. But it really makes no sense to reimport it to the US.
17 May, 2023
2023-5-17 8:51:13 AM UTC

Laurin wrote:

when you’re located in Europe, the price at Tolkienwinkel is not that bad. It includes shipping, tax and duties you normally would pay when you import it from the US. But it really makes no sense to reimport it to the US.

Yup, in Europe it's actually a very decent price. Less than imported so anyone wanting this in Europe should jump before it's totally sold out. It is an excellent book and while it's still not cheap in the traditional sense, it's a bargain at the price compared to importing it.
17 May, 2023
2023-5-17 12:32:25 PM UTC

Laurin wrote:

Roughly 23 Nov to 15 May (based on posts above), so less than 6 months? Sometimes people need to save up for things and prioritize purchases. And how could I know how long it would be in print?

Sorry for saying I was sad about it. I’ll check my emotions at the door.
17 May, 2023
2023-5-17 1:38:32 PM UTC

Philomythos wrote:

Laurin wrote:

Roughly 23 Nov to 15 May (based on posts above), so less than 6 months? Sometimes people need to save up for things and prioritize purchases. And how could I know how long it would be in print?

Sorry for saying I was sad about it. I’ll check my emotions at the door.

I am sure that copies will turn up on eBay and Abebooks for sale, hopefully you will be able to get one at a price you are happy about. Catalogues for exhibitions are often only on sale for a short period before and after the exhibition.
17 May, 2023
2023-5-17 6:04:41 PM UTC
Do we know roughly, how many of these catalogues were produced?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us