Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

3 May, 2022
2022-5-3 10:06:57 AM UTC
This is quite an interesting thread that was pointed out to me on LT about how Folio has (historically) quite a track record of selling things as "leather" that aren't actually leather and silk that isn't actually silk. Worth a read through the thread.

https://www.librarything.com/topic/86527#1856839
3 May, 2022
2022-5-3 1:08:51 PM UTC
I have read a bit in my set now and some experiences gained. Initially i was also a bit worried about turning pages close to illustrations because there is an instinctive worry to harm the tipped-in sheets. Reaching an illustration when reading quickly becomes a wonderful event and turning pages is risk-free fortunately :) The book in itself is indeed an event both to read and to view on the shelf or the coffee table.

Drinking coffee while reading this book is also an event, one that requires me to mirror the process i use when i want to move the (rather flimsy) slipcase:
1. set the book(s) aside
2. turn to the window, pick up the cup from the sill
3. sip coffee, place cup back on the sill
4. turn around and pick book back up

I would not move the slipcase much with all the books in it. While i have no empirical evidence for damage to it, it simply feels flimsy though maybe im paranoid because the books are so darn heavy!
3 May, 2022
2022-5-3 2:16:22 PM UTC
I agree. A sturdier box would have been appreciated at this price point. I don’t anticipate moving it often, but still…
3 May, 2022
2022-5-3 8:33:21 PM UTC
Response from the user on LT that queried Folio

"According to Folio's response, it is top grain goatskin (so not calfskin as stated on the website).

I am advised that they were seeking a smooth, sleek finish and they chose top grain because it is free of blemishes, giving a smooth, uniform surface.

So that's their take on it: a deliberate production choice to achieve a particular finish."

So, we have the actual leather it made from (according to Folio CS), what was stated on the website and what is stated in the book all different. I'm not entirely convinced by Folio's answer as it doesn't actually look like topgrain goatskin, but...
11 May, 2022
2022-5-11 7:52:06 PM UTC
Figured I'd provide an update after contacting FS about the split leather. They acknowledged my original email stating they would take care of it. And 2 weeks later (after no other contact) a new copy of The Two Towers arrived on the doorstep. Happy to report that the new copy does not have any noticeable flaws. Will give a +1 for FS customer service in this regard.
11 May, 2022
2022-5-11 8:09:27 PM UTC

qualityburger wrote:

Figured I'd provide an update after contacting FS about the split leather. They acknowledged my original email stating they would take care of it. And 2 weeks later (after no other contact) a new copy of The Two Towers arrived on the doorstep. Happy to report that the new copy does not have any noticeable flaws. Will give a +1 for FS customer service in this regard.

That's great - did it have the same number as the defective one?
11 May, 2022
2022-5-11 9:41:05 PM UTC
Unless I overlooked something in my set, only Fellowship is signed and numbered.
11 May, 2022
2022-5-11 10:21:06 PM UTC

Witchking664 wrote:

Unless I overlooked something in my set, only Fellowship is signed and numbered.

Ahh, OK. Makes sense. Did they provide a return shipping label to make the return easy?
11 May, 2022
2022-5-11 11:41:55 PM UTC
Indeed only Fellowship is numbered and signed for the set. And surprisingly, no return request or label. So with no instruction or communication, I suppose they intend for me to keep the extra copy?
12 May, 2022
2022-5-12 12:55:22 AM UTC
Sounds like it. Reading copy!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us