Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

14 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-14 9:38:20 PM UTC

onthetrail wrote:

Stu wrote:

Folio no longer have replacements for these and LEGO don't have materials to make new ones. They offered to have them returned to the UK for repair by Smith-Settle (at their expense), but as the cloth was also damaged on FoTR, I decided it was better to just send them back for a refund. I really didn't want to deal with DHL's customs service a second time, also. There was no option for retaining them as-is and receiving a discount.

Hopefully will only be slightly out of pocket on the credit card currency charges once the refund is processed. On-selling them here in NZ wasn't a worthwhile option for me (I doubt I would have covered my costs).

A £1500 set. Shambolic from Folio.

Yeah, well £1250, anyhow (in NZ). *For me*, it was not even close to being a good enough product for that price. Just handling it, it felt like it would be easy to spoil the cloth (already damaged in transit and assembly) and the leather is going to be super-hard to look after if using the slipcase (which is also too flimsy and hard to use). I felt they would be a massive headache to own and actually use. Of all the books I have, I don't really have any that I feel could not be used if I wanted to (though of course most are just shelf-adornments). Given the selling point of this set is the exclusive illustration presentation, having it and not using it would be absurd (unless only kept as an investment -- which for a defective set was a non-starter).

All that said, everyone's mileage varies and for those who bought this and got copies that they are satisfied with, I'm happy they got 'em and will enjoy 'em. Just not a product for me.

Edit: Return process easy so far. DHL will be picking them up next week.
15 Jun, 2022
2022-6-15 10:35:30 PM UTC

Stu wrote:

Folio no longer have replacements for these and LEGO don't have materials to make new ones. They offered to have them returned to the UK for repair by Smith-Settle (at their expense), but as the cloth was also damaged on FoTR, I decided it was better to just send them back for a refund. I really didn't want to deal with DHL's customs service a second time, also. There was no option for retaining them as-is and receiving a discount.

Hopefully will only be slightly out of pocket on the credit card currency charges once the refund is processed. On-selling them here in NZ wasn't a worthwhile option for me (I doubt I would have covered my costs).

Sorry to hear that.

Is getting a refund better than reselling them? Some people might be willing to pay a high amount for a copy, even if it has defects.
16 Jun, 2022 (edited)
2022-6-16 2:14:57 AM UTC

Morinehtar wrote:

Stu wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

Is getting a refund better than reselling them? Some people might be willing to pay a high amount for a copy, even if it has defects.

Probably much of a muchness, tbh. I might be able to make a small amount by selling them, but by the time, fees, etc are taken into account, I doubt it would be that much (at least not for the effort/risk). Returning them is just a case of putting them back in the box and DHL picking them up.

I've got the 1992 and - if anything - this new Folio has shown me how lucky we are to have that edition (both trade and deluxe). it is a far more usable set of books. I suspect at some point there will be a less bloated edition with these new features. This set of books was - IMHO - designed to justify a price point, and I don't think that is a great way to go about making books. I'm going to do a review of the pros and cons at some point - Have taken a lot of pictures, including several directly comparing with the 1992.

I definitely think a lot of buyers would be surprised at how similar-sized the actual content is on the 1992 than the 2022, given the massive difference in weight and overall dimensions.
23 Apr, 2023
2023-4-23 6:16:51 PM UTC
A query about this edition: it says on the Folio Society website that the edition includes "two revised versions of existing illustrations". Which two are these? I'd love to know and, if possible, see photos of them. Thanks.
23 Apr, 2023
2023-4-23 11:17:17 PM UTC

Tuor wrote:

A query about this edition: it says on the Folio Society website that the edition includes "two revised versions of existing illustrations". Which two are these? I'd love to know and, if possible, see photos of them. Thanks.
https://lawrencemvc.wordpress.com/2021 ... 7/alan-lee-illustrations/
24 Apr, 2023
2023-4-24 8:10:58 PM UTC

zionius wrote:

Tuor wrote:

https://lawrencemvc.wordpress.com/2021 ... 7/alan-lee-illustrations/

Fantastic - thanks!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us