Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 2:19:15 PM UTC
This set isnt bought just by tolkien collectors. Pure Folio collectors buy their limited editions also....most of them sell out.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 2:34:45 PM UTC
So it begins. Before they are even sold out.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 2:36:56 PM UTC
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:01:04 PM UTC

northman wrote:

This set isnt bought just by tolkien collectors. Pure Folio collectors buy their limited editions also....most of them sell out.

Exactly that.

I also collect Folio Society Limited edition books and I have to say their overall quality is second to none. Taste is another matter of course and subjective. There are some books I love and some I find lacking..

Having said that, even for an avid Tolkien and FS Ltd Edition collector I was taken aback by the £1.000 price tag… one of the most expensive Ltd. Editions they’ve ever produced. And the ‘new’ material from an artist perspective is not that much either… (I was kind of hoping for a significant number of new Alan Lee illustrations or sth that would make this a truly unique version as they typically do).

At this price tag I considered waiting for a potential future ‘sale’ - but alas that’s not going to happen so I just ordered one.

Most Folio Society Ltd Editions hold their value or appreciate. I just feel that when the starting price is so high, the publisher has already received the premium of any potential future value increase..
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:28:29 PM UTC
They are now showing the number of copies remaining.

168 as of this post.

Looks like it could sell out by tomorrow.

Quite remarkable.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:29:48 PM UTC
I’ve never been in the position to buy a brand new limited collectors edition of the LotR. When people have shown pictures of them, they clearly don’t show or mention the original cost. With saying that, this is my question.
Is this the most costly brand new set that has been produced by some considerable way?
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:32:43 PM UTC
"Over 800 sets of the limited edition The Lord of the Rings have sold in just a few hours. The final copies from the limitation of 1,000 are being bound in Italy and will be available for despatch from mid-May. Order now to secure yours."

Looks like they didn't expect it to sell so quick either. Last copies for delivery in Mid May.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:36:35 PM UTC

huan68 wrote:

I’ve never been in the position to buy a brand new limited collectors edition of the LotR. When people have shown pictures of them, they clearly don’t show or mention the original cost. With saying that, this is my question.
Is this the most costly brand new set that has been produced by some considerable way?

Yes. I think so. Can't think of any other set near this price (though some Tolkien related academic books have been priced over £1000). Most expensive that I can recall was the £350 for the COH & Sigurd Super Deluxe's.

Adjusting for inflation the 1992 3 Vol LOTR Deluxe would probably be more than £350 (think it listed at £250?)

And then the German 1 Vol was around 900 Euro.
21 Apr, 2022
2022-4-21 5:37:48 PM UTC

remy wrote:

"Over 800 sets of the limited edition The Lord of the Rings have sold in just a few hours. The final copies from the limitation of 1,000 are being bound in Italy and will be available for despatch from mid-May. Order now to secure yours."

Looks like they didn't expect it to sell so quick either. Last copies for delivery in Mid May.

"We still didn't price it high enough!"
21 Apr, 2022 (edited)
2022-4-21 5:48:31 PM UTC
With the success of this edition, it is hard not to see further "high priced" limited editions being produced in the near future. And probably in numbers higher than 1000 to fully capitalise on the current interest.

Maybe Easton Press may also be encouraged to publish some limited editions (though I don't know what rights they have to publish).

And maybe Harpercollins themselves may decide to give the Super Deluxe's another go.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us