Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Jul, 2022
2022-7-21 4:11:03 PM UTC
Very interesting thread. I haven’t read the article yet, but I think a lot of the criticism from the members at TCG might have been appeased had Ferré simply added a footnote/endnote mentioning Kay. Am I wrong about this?
22 Jul, 2022
2022-7-22 12:46:11 AM UTC

Jlong wrote:

Very interesting thread. I haven’t read the article yet, but I think a lot of the criticism from the members at TCG might have been appeased had Ferré simply added a footnote/endnote mentioning Kay. Am I wrong about this?

A footnote or a paragraph acknowledging that CT didn't perform his creative duties alone would have helped a *lot*. I personally think there was a very deliberate choice not to do this as it would have blunted the article's key point. But if you have to leave things out that blunt your message (me speculating here), maybe the message is wrong and you should write something else.

What gets written in a book like this does matter, because it will be far more accessible and popular than other accounts which may be more accurate. It becomes the truth just by ending up in front of more eyes.
20 Aug, 2022
2022-8-20 9:37:38 AM UTC
Good morning to all,

I was going to address some of the issues at stake here, but also ask a few questions
(do statements by GG Kay reproduced by Ch. Noad and polite acknowledgments typical of CRT constitute 'proofs' of anything? is it not clear enough that I have discussed this matter with Christopher Tolkien? didn't I write that this essay has been reviewed by Tolkien scholars and the Bodleian & that it is not my last paper on the matter?) but I am really surprised by the tone of some posts - since this paper is
"academically irresponsible ", I'll leave to it. have a good day.
20 Aug, 2022
2022-8-20 10:50:56 AM UTC
Hate to see you go, Professor, but I can’t say I blame you. Some posters on here were blatantly disrespectful and rude. Many of us have enjoyed the book and your contribution to it.
20 Aug, 2022
2022-8-20 10:58:25 AM UTC
I would appreciate an example of where any of us were rude? I don't see any disrespect or rudeness unless questioning something is deemed to be disrepsectful and/or rude.
20 Aug, 2022 (edited)
2022-8-20 11:41:50 AM UTC
I'm locking this thread as it seems to have run its course and Stu has deleted his account, so is no longer a member of the site, so can't respond.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us