Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

24 Jul, 2022
2022-7-24 6:25:26 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

We've seen a lot of wandering Harfoots, but I think it worth pointing out that in the latest character poster for Largo Brandyfoot, there is clearly an underground hobbit hole (with round door) and some stonework in the background:

The actors said that the Harfoots don't live in holes in the ground, but are nomadic and use carts. The round door in the picture is probably a cart wheel. I think they are using the cart-wheels as the precursor to Hobbits using them as round doors.
24 Jul, 2022 (edited)
2022-7-24 7:12:27 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

We've seen a lot of wandering Harfoots, but I think it worth pointing out that in the latest character poster for Largo Brandyfoot, there is clearly an underground hobbit hole (with round door) and some stonework in the background:

The actors said that the Harfoots don't live in holes in the ground, but are nomadic and use carts. The round door in the picture is probably a cart wheel. I think they are using the cart-wheels as the precursor to Hobbits using them as round doors.

Doesn't make any sense for Harfoots to be biologically any different than Hobbits (other than in name). There would need to be at least a couple of hundred thousand years of evolution for them to be much different. Though I get that the timelines of Arda don't really work for evolution.

The Harfoots remain the one thing I have seen so far that don't work at all for me. I struggle with fact that they have an overweight/less attractive one (probably comic relief), a pretty one (clean face, but scraggy hair), a Lenny Henry one (I won't ever be able to take him seriously outside of comedy), etc. It is like they were ticking a bunch of boxes, and it really shows. Those giant rabbit feet make them look absolutely stupid walking.
24 Jul, 2022
2022-7-24 7:22:34 AM UTC

Stu wrote:

Doesn't make any sense for Harfoots to be biologically any different than Hobbits (other than in name). There would need to be at least a couple of hundred thousand years of evolution for them to be much different. Though I get that the timelines of Arda don't really work for evolution.

The Harfoots remain the one thing I have seen so far that don't work at all for me. I struggle with fact that they have an overweight/less attractive one (probably comic relief), a pretty one (clean face, but scraggy hair), a Lenny Henry one (I won't ever be able to take him seriously outside of comedy, etc. It is like they were ticking a bunch of boxes, and it really shows. Those giant rabbit feet make them look absolutely stupid walking.

I have to agree, I think when we get to the end of season one, I will revisit this, to ask the question, did having Hobbits in the series add anything to it? Interested in peoples views at that point.
3 Aug, 2022
2022-8-3 10:47:02 AM UTC
Prime Video have released a short featurette on the new series.

3 Aug, 2022 (edited)
2022-8-3 5:50:17 PM UTC
“Come with us to Middle-earth”

11 Aug, 2022
2022-8-11 4:12:22 PM UTC
"No one stands alone."

15 Aug, 2022
2022-8-15 5:06:38 PM UTC
"Explore the island kingdom of Númenor"

15 Aug, 2022
2022-8-15 5:09:26 PM UTC
"Adventure awaits"

17 Aug, 2022
2022-8-17 5:35:43 AM UTC
"Her task has only just begun. Meet Galadriel"

17 Aug, 2022
2022-8-17 5:38:32 AM UTC
"The Enemy draws nigh"

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us