Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Oct, 2022
2022-10-13 6:54:43 AM UTC
As example, The Hollywood Reporter piece from a few weeks back stated that the "$250 million" figure, that has been reported by literally every news outlet since this deal was made public, is in fact not the price Amazon paid for the deal. This figure has been in public domain for years, yet Amazon have never made any attempt to publically address the inaccuracy of it. Why one would attach any credence to any of the finer detail of the settlement between Amazon and The Tolkien Estate, if this simple fact is wrong, is beyond me. It's just simply not a credible position to take. Interesting to discuss, but we don't know the detail.
13 Oct, 2022
2022-10-13 8:15:36 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

As example, The Hollywood Reporter piece from a few weeks back stated that the "$250 million" figure, that has been reported by literally every news outlet since this deal was made public, is in fact not the price Amazon paid for the deal. This figure has been in public domain for years, yet Amazon have never made any attempt to publically address the inaccuracy of it. Why one would attach any credence to any of the finer detail of the settlement between Amazon and The Tolkien Estate, if this simple fact is wrong, is beyond me. It's just simply not a credible position to take. Interesting to discuss, but we don't know the detail.

Let's be clear, as I thought we were, that I am not talking about articles by any old random 'news' outlet but the statements made by representatives of Amazon. Things we know have been said by them. I've not read the HR article so I can't comment on its validity but for the sake of clarity let's consider that anything said in an article that cannot be nailed to an official source is tit for tat.

All that aside, we can each of us decide what we deem as factual and what is not. And with that I regard things said by Amazon themselves or a representative acting on their behalf to have some degree of truth to them. That may be a false truth only spoken by Amazon but it is their official line on any matter. If we don't draw a line on some details and accept them, then any conversation is mute.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us