Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 10:19:54 PM UTC

Trotter wrote:

Urulókë wrote:

This newest listing is a second impression, while the one that just sold is a first impression. I would expect that second impressions, generally speaking, sell for less than the first impressions (ignoring lots of other factors e.g. book condition).

They don't for this book, they are equally rare to date, and this is an unusual book in that the impression does not matter. It is condition for these books that was important in the past for price. That seems to have changed.

Definitely agree on condition being the main factor for these (and that it has recently changed).

Hear me out, though, in this thought experiment.

If, by chance, two identical condition copies showed up on the market, a second impression priced affordably (in your mind), and a first impression priced at a bit more but still affordable - which would you buy if you could only afford to get one? I think everyone would go for the first impression - thus, first impressions theoretically command (slightly) higher prices than second impressions.

I acknowledge up front that I am far into the weeds here, and that both impressions are so scarce my example is not ever likely to occur, so just about all buyers will grab whichever impression they like and can afford.
16 Jan, 2023
2023-1-16 10:40:46 PM UTC
Price dropped by about $400 since first listed yesterday:

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: thoutmosis2
(224)
Ended Jan 17, 2023
This item ended more than 90 days ago
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 1:25:00 AM UTC

LanceFormation wrote:

(224)
Ended Jan 17, 2023

this books in the dirt now bro ... not worth over $500 anymore.

this is a cautionary tale for listers on how not to capitalize on a strange sale lol.
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 2:44:42 AM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

What market factors and or other listings are you basing this statement on?
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 2:59:34 AM UTC

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Dagoth wrote:

past sales and common sense.
17 Jan, 2023 (edited)
2023-1-17 3:38:26 AM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

Mr. Underhill wrote:

Dagoth wrote:

past sales and common sense.

Would appreciate some evidence to back up the $500 claim.
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 5:43:30 AM UTC
I think we were all (except the bidders...?) surprised by how much the most recent auction sold for. I would like a copy myself, and can't afford anything like that amount for one in any condition.

How can you say what the next copy is "worth" and definitely will sell for, though? "Common sense" is clearly not always a factor. More than one person wanted that particular copy - seven different bidders went above your $500.

If you feel that *to you* the book is not worth over $500, sure - that's an opinion. You are making a statement about the market worth now - going against the evidence we are all looking at - at least seven bidders clearly disagree with you. Mr. Underhill is just asking if you have other recent sales to back up your claim when there's a lot of clear evidence to the contrary.
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 7:07:19 AM UTC

Urulókë wrote:

If, by chance, two identical condition copies showed up on the market, a second impression priced affordably (in your mind), and a first impression priced at a bit more but still affordable - which would you buy if you could only afford to get one? I think everyone would go for the first impression - thus, first impressions theoretically command (slightly) higher prices than second impressions.

In this example of course the first impression would get the priority Never happened before, but may now as copies come out of the woodwork because of the price increase.

Urulókë wrote:

I acknowledge up front that I am far into the weeds here, and that both impressions are so scarce my example is not ever likely to occur, so just about all buyers will grab whichever impression they like and can afford.

I know that some collectors only have the second impression and because it so similar to the first impression, feel no need to also get the first impression, it is an achievement to have either
17 Jan, 2023 (edited)
2023-1-17 7:34:50 AM UTC

Trotter wrote:

I know that some collectors only have the second impression and because it so similar to the first impression, feel no need to also get the first impression

Indeed. But equally there are those who have the second impression who do want a first.

I was one of those the past. I had a second impression only for years but always was on the lookout for a first. Ideally wanted both due to the small spine differences between the two.

[Edit: If I had a first originally - I would also want a 2nd due to the small differences between the two]
17 Jan, 2023
2023-1-17 4:38:14 PM UTC

Dagoth wrote:

LanceFormation wrote:

(224)
Ended Jan 17, 2023

this is a cautionary tale for listers on how not to capitalize on a strange sale lol.

Sold? (wasn't me )
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us