Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

18 Dec, 2007
2007-12-18 11:00:36 PM UTC
I can't think of anything to say.
I may just laugh like Beren
Hahahahahaha..........
18 Dec, 2007
2007-12-18 11:13:11 PM UTC
Oh dear, I hope PJ doesn't do such an awful hatchet-job of the Hobbit as he did with LoTR. I really wanted to like the LoTR movies (in fact I do like the feel of them in parts, and they look great), but the plots became increasingly bad as the series progressed. I don't think that movies should be the same as books, but plot changes should add something to the mix (and make sense). A lot of PJs changes were pointless and jar badly.

It's also hard to see how two movies could be justified for the Hobbit without entering into territory for which New Line does not have the rights or PJ/FW simply making stuff up.

Stu
19 Dec, 2007
2007-12-19 7:35:45 PM UTC
By all accounts the films sound like a straight split of the book; with no mention (officially from the studios) of the second film entering into entirely made up territory (although I'm sure there'll be plenty of scope for that whilst supposedly following the books!).

(Metapraxis) Tolkien Enterprises (Saul Zaentz) own the rights (in respect to filming) of almost all aspects of The Hobbit & LotRs: so there is nothing stopping them 'inventing' plot/characters etc within the Hobbit/LotRs story framework. Look at all the pap the games cover which has no direct correlation to anything in LotRs; thats all licensed through Tolkien Enterprises. So I guess they have the scope (if they wish) to play about quite a bit within this part of Tolkien's Legendarium!

On the matter of the film rights & their sale (by Tolkien). Does anyone know anything (firmly) about this? I know various dates have been batted about (late 60's etc); but one of the most interesting parts I read about in an interview with Saul Zaentz, is that he actually met with the family in the mid-70's. Supposedly it was with Christopher and Priscilla (presumably after Tolkien's death).

I often wondered (if true) why -if the rights had already been sold outright. Mabey they hadn't. After all there was all the reputed bother with the production & distribution rights being held (for The Hobbit) by different studios. Mabey he attempted to aquire all the film rights for Tolkien's Middle-earth works i.e. the rights to the (then) forthcoming Silmarillion (?).

I think mabey (as Collectors) we should open a thread to discuss the influence of the films (the three LotRs ones & the forthcoming Hobbit films) on book collecting (or all collecting); good or bad...

BH
19 Dec, 2007
2007-12-19 11:52:49 PM UTC
Khamul - my understanding is that New Line (via Saul Zaentz) has the rights to anything in the Hobbit and LoTR (including appendices), but has no rights to anything in HoME / Silmarillion / Unfinished Tales, etc.

So if material appears anywhere in LoTR/Hobbit, they can use it. If material does not appear in any of the books, they can use it (i.e. they can invent material). However, if material is in HoME/Sil/UT (etc), but not in the Hobbit/LoTR they absolutely cannot use it.

Cheers
Stu
22 Dec, 2007
2007-12-22 9:59:16 AM UTC
That still leaves an enormous amount of scope though; mainly due to the appended material in LotRs. There's litterally tons of stuff in the appendices when you think of it. Think of all the nonsense they could make up regarding 'Durin's Folk' or 'The Dunedain' or 'Eorl' etc etc -scary! They could make a whole series of films about the second age, which really would dip into the realm of pure invention...

Plus, how strenuously are the Estate going to contest anything which comes close to crossing the line?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us