Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

11 Feb, 2008
2008-2-11 6:50:14 PM UTC
I dropped a note to the seller earlier today, and she was very gracious in her response and quickly pulled the listing. Just a case of innocent excitement without research I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if the book gets back on eBay sooner or later when someone else sees the signature and the cycle repeats.
12 Feb, 2008
2008-2-12 6:13:12 AM UTC
I'm glad that it is just a simple mistake on the sellers part, but I am still amazed that buyers don't do any homewor before bidding.

Dior
17 Feb, 2008
2008-2-17 9:18:19 AM UTC
Sorry, buyers doing homework? What about sellers? Ebay seems to be teaming with sellers who are operating at a level below that of the aforementioned car boot sale. Tolkien has to be one of the best known fantasy writers of our time. What excuse could you possibly have, with access to the internet, for not looking up when the author died? No excuse... but pretty funny none the less .

BH
17 Feb, 2008
2008-2-17 10:05:03 AM UTC
I agree that sellers have a responsibilty to check their items before putting it up for sale......but it always amazes me that people are willing to part with their money without knowing about what they are bidding on

Each to their own I guess.

Dior
17 Feb, 2008
2008-2-17 10:40:06 AM UTC
I'm sure someone somewhere out there collects (or studies) forgeries mind you. There was that pb Hobbit that came up a while back that the seller said had been signed by one of the Tolkiens. Someone on this forum (I think) suggested it might have been John Tolkien. But again, people bid on it; and nobody had a damn clue what it was.

BH
18 Feb, 2008
2008-2-18 9:10:38 AM UTC
I suggested that it may have been John Tolkien, but did not really believe it as it clearly was a fake.

Ebay claims to be bothered about counterfeit items (which includes fake signatures). However they make it very hard to report and appear to take very little notice when they are reported. Sadly they are just interested in their commission.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us