Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

10 Jul, 2008
2008-7-10 5:31:33 PM UTC
I think it is scary the way the press has run with the story. Here is a National Ledger article claiming that Malton said the postcard was worth $250,000 - which I never saw from the original article(s).

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/ ... h/article_272621470.shtml

Plus the fact that the postcard is available for purchase through TolkienLibrary.com for less than $2000. Go check it out, and the garden artwork.
10 Jul, 2008
2008-7-10 8:21:22 PM UTC
10 Jul, 2008
2008-7-10 8:44:55 PM UTC
Well and even the claim that I ever made an offer is false... I just let the contractor know I was interested in obtaining the fireplace (no amount mentioned). I think he then got curious and after finding the postcards and surfing on the internet believed he had found the holy grail...

I excitement he contacted the media and then somehow the story grew larger then it actually is. The postcard is not worth 1000 USD, but has become very famous by now... the fireplace I now will for sure not obtain and there for I just listed the items at my site.

Hope to lower the prices soon, but have to see what the contractor says.

Pfff... I hate it when they start calling me and I have to re-tell the whole day it is an incorrect story and that no postcard can ever be worth 250.000 USD...

The only good thing about the media is that ones they here the story is false they decide not to publish the story.

I was feeling bad about the whole thing from the moment the first newsarticle appeared and the contractor only claims he said that a Belgian collector was interested in the fireplace...
12 Jul, 2008
2008-7-12 2:04:52 PM UTC
13 Jul, 2008
2008-7-13 8:16:47 AM UTC
I had look at the picture of the 'priceless' postcard on Beren's website.

I agree that it is not from Lin Carter and looking at the text it could be from any one of Tolkien's friends or acquaintances.

The date on the stamp appears to the 9th July 1968 and the first line is
"I have been thinking of you a lot hoping everything has gone as well as could be expected in the most difficult circumstances."

I had a look at Hammond's Tolkien Companion and Guide (Chronology) for this period to see what the writer could be consoling Tolkien about.

Quite a lot happened in Spring and Summer of 1968 to Ronald and Edith. They moved from Sandfield Road in Oxford to Bournemouth/Poole at the time of the post-mark on the card.

Tolkien broke his leg on the 17th June and and had an operation and received a lot of sympathy cards from well-wishers, of which this is one.
14 Jul, 2008
2008-7-14 5:43:42 AM UTC
Following up on Wellinghall's post (the link to the Dorset Echo) -

TolkienLibrary.com gets a mention in the article, which is nice publicity for Beren. Congrats!

Also, I would like to drop a public note to Stephen Malton, the demo man who found the items - You'll probably feel more like you are "winning the lottery" when one of these items actually sells.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us