Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

5 Feb, 2007
2007-2-5 10:41:58 PM UTC
Hi Beren,

Are you sure it was a 1st/1st Fellowship? Cannot find the auction in the completed listings. Cannot imagine a 1st/1st Fellowship selling for anywhere close to £100 (or close to £500 for that matter).

I saw a Worn (and poorly advertised) 1st/1st ROTK go for just over £100 alright.

Ebay seems to be a little quieter in general and prices have come down somewhat. But as always, the quality and rare editions still seem to sell very well.
5 Feb, 2007
2007-2-5 11:53:34 PM UTC
Well, bargains i wouldn't call it really, most books are in poor shape...

By the way what do you think of this item: signed letter ??
Doesn't look like Tolkiens Hammond typewriter, doesn't look like Tolkiens autograph either. Any ideas?
6 Feb, 2007
2007-2-6 5:37:59 AM UTC
looks fake to me. the thing that would worry me is T: the 3 dots inside , also the top stoke on the T looks wrong
7 Feb, 2007
2007-2-7 1:11:11 AM UTC
If Beren can not (or will not) declare this a forgery, what is a mere mortal to think of it? The typewriter would not seem to matter. It would seem that JRRT (if this is genuine) was responding to correspondence typed up by a secretary at Allen&Unwin and made ready for his signature. But I have not ever seen that "T" (not that I have seen very many of his signatures) - Beren has many genuine ones in his collection, what thinkest thou?) and the color of the ink would make me think twice. What the TCG needs is a handwriting expert on staff. Jeremy, when you're not too busy, could you dig one up?
7 Feb, 2007
2007-2-7 1:37:01 AM UTC
In my humble opinion, here's my thoughts on this auction.

- The seller has a pretty good reputation.
- The letter is quite likely real (hard to tell, not being able to see the paper itself to tell if it is 35 years old).
- As Parmastahir mentions, this was likely typed up by a secretary, especially given the late date (Tolkien wasn't up to doing all of these sorts of short notes himself in later years.)
- It is quite possible that the signature was done by a secretary as well (ghost signature) as the intended recipient would only care that the thought came from JRRT, not a collectible signature.
- All handwriting experts who happen by please sign up to be a resident expert.
9 Feb, 2007
2007-2-9 11:39:34 PM UTC
I vote for ghost signature.
15 Feb, 2007
2007-2-15 3:16:12 AM UTC
Finally picked up a copy of the 1983 Antioch Publishing Not-Too-Big calendar (5.75 x 5.75 inches only) on eBay tonight for the exorbitant price of US$2.99! For whatever reason, it was the only 1983 calendar to have any Tolkien related illustrations. Even then, it is only the July illustration (Gandalf's Visit by Sylvia Thomas). A nice little rarity!

Anyone here have a contact in or belong to the Italian Tolkien Society? I still need a copy of their 2007 issue. If anyone can help me with that, I'd be most appreciative.

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
1 Mar, 2007
2007-3-1 3:05:33 AM UTC
Hello to all -

I added several calendars in February (find them under "What's New") and just posted the March Calendar of the Month. It is the first issue in a series that are personal favorites. Hope you enjoy it!

Spring is coming! I could feel it in the air here today.

Parmastahir
5 Mar, 2007
2007-3-5 1:49:52 AM UTC
I got the story behind the 1983 Antioch that I had been looking for for years from the seller. Seems she collects cookbooks and it was tucked in between some in a lot that she bought at a garage sale. She was sorting out the unwanted ones and the calendar in her throw away pile. However, she decided to eBay it thinking that someone might like collect unicorn illustrations (which is what is on the cover). One man's trash . . .

Parmastahir
10 Mar, 2007
2007-3-10 2:32:02 PM UTC
I wrote to and received replies from Lynn Maudlin about her creation of the 1990 NOT Tolkien Calendar and from Tom Maringer about his creation of the Shire Post (fantasy stamps and coins and several calendars). I added links to their letters on my website trying to add content beyond the "cut and dried" information of each calendar entry.

Hope all is well with everyone. Only 11 days to Spring!

Parmastahir
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us