-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Sep, 2008
2008-9-2 3:05:16 PM UTC
They are paperback books, khamul.

wellinghall
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 4:44:31 AM UTC
Is there any easier way of purchasing this than through TS? I live in the US and $30 for surface mail seems a bit expensive. Is anyone in the US selling it? Also, why are these proceedings so expensive (they're not even HBs)? The cost reminds me of Drout's Tolkien Encyclopedia. I eventually picked up a copy of it by combining my Barnes and Noble membership with a Barnes and Noble gift card & a 50% off coupon. If I could only find a deal like that I might buy this set. :)
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 7:10:15 AM UTC
At present, no-one in the US is selling it. It is so expensive because, at around 850 A4 pages, it is very heavy; the extra cost to the US is all taken up by mailing costs, I'm afraid.

wellinghall
24 Oct, 2008
2008-10-24 9:13:46 AM UTC
(Jlong) I'd second that regarding Drout's Encyclopedia. I haven't got a copy yet! C&G was so much more competitive at the time (-and I've still got TS V to read!)

Postage from UK to US is presumably as bad as postage from the US to UK at present: totally prohibitive! I bought seven new books (standard hardbacks) from Hippocampus Press the other week. They sent it over in some strange big heavy duty bag, called an 'M Bag'. It only cost $49.

More recently I bought two Arkham House volumes (relatively small hardbacks) from a US dealer, and the postage was $34! -more than the price of one of the books. There is basically no point in buying from the US (I feel) at present in less your buying multiple books, especially with the ~1.65 (or whatever it is) conversion rate for the £/$ as well.

Damn credit crunch!... (and USPS!...)

BH
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us