Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

8 Oct, 2008
2008-10-8 6:57:20 PM UTC
I have emailed the Auction House to express the concerns about this particular item shown in this thread, but as it is 10 minutes from my office, I will go and see them tomorrow to make sure that they are aware of the problems with the item.
8 Oct, 2008
2008-10-8 7:27:15 PM UTC
Christina and I also e-mailed the auction house, last night, pointing them to the Maggs and ABE pages, but have not had a reply.

Wayne
8 Oct, 2008
2008-10-8 7:42:54 PM UTC
This is very worrysome. I'm going to seek contact, try to find hold of the person who originally showed me the items, and see what he comes up with an explanation. This 'new' letter is very closely linked to the other papers and are probably 'made' by the same person. I'm going to digg into this a little and see what I can come up with.

Also I have seen some of these 'blue pen' autographs before and will digg through my (past sales) archive if I can find any that also can be linked to this case.

I'm glad I handle a policy never to buy typed letters. Since otherwhise I would have ended up buying some of these items a long time ago.

Currently David Miller owns the two abe books singed items, and I wonder if he also holds this letter (but it would surprise me). He can tell me where he bought them and also he should know that he probably bought fakes. The only positive thing is that he recently bought them and there fore must know where from. We must stop this from happening.
9 Oct, 2008
2008-10-9 1:40:03 AM UTC
I have been gathering images of Tolkien's unpublished and uncollected letters for a couple years now. The letter in question on Maggs, although I do not have the whole letter, for what it's worth, I have two pages from the original, which I can post, if anyone thinks this would be useful. I do not have the "moon-lather" page, unfortunately. I will be e-mailing the person that I obtained one of the images from to try to get a copy of the rest of the letter. (The other image I have was scanned from an auction catalog.) If these items are indeed counterfeit, as many of you seem to believe, I agree with Beren. "We must stop this from happening."

Josh
9 Oct, 2008
2008-10-9 1:49:48 AM UTC
To back up a couple of posts: Carl, you're absolutely right. I had noticed the "moon-lather" point myself, but was too tired to follow it up yesterday around 11:00, after a long drive during the day and an hour and a half of presidential debate in the evening.

Christina and I transcribed the real letter by Tolkien to Jennifer Paxman (i.e. Brookes-Smith) at Christie's in 2003, and our notes say that Tolkien correctly wrote "moon-letter".

Wayne
11 Oct, 2008
2008-10-11 3:24:03 PM UTC
Has anyone heard back from Bloomsbury or found out anything else about the other Tolkien items circulating around with similar signatures? I've been watching the Bloomsbury listing on eBay and someone bid on the item. What a shame it would be to see someone pay a lot of money for this item.

Josh
11 Oct, 2008
2008-10-11 5:58:37 PM UTC
Christina and I haven't had a reply from Bloomsbury. Trotter, were you able to go see them? I'm not sure whose responsibility this is: Bloomsbury are acting as agent for the seller, and eBay are only a conduit for Bloomsbury to attract bids. Let the buyer beware! Though a sale at auction of a forgery must reflect badly on the auctioneer, especially if there has been warning of possible fraud.

Wayne
11 Oct, 2008
2008-10-11 6:40:22 PM UTC
No, I was unable to go on Thursday or Friday.

I have also emailed Rupert Powell (the Managing Director of Bloomsbury Auctions) a dossier showing the problems with this item. This will be hand delivered on Monday and I will ask for a receipt that it has been received. I encourage others to email Rupert ([email protected]).

I also note from Bloomsbury's terms and conditions the following so any potential buyer has recourse

9. (a) Notwithstanding any other terms of these conditions, if within fourteen days of the sale the Auctioneer has received from the buyer of any lot notice in writing that in his view the lot is a deliberate forgery and within fourteen days after such notification the buyer returns the same to the Auctioneer in the same condition as at the time of the sale and satisfies the Auctioneer that considered in the light of the entry in the catalogue the lot is a deliberate forgery then the sale of the lot will be rescinded and the purchase price of the same refunded. "A deliberate forgery" means a lot made with intention to deceive.
13 Oct, 2008
2008-10-13 11:02:02 AM UTC
Just had this email from Bloomsbury Auctions

"Thank you for your enquiry. We have now had a chance to reassess the Tolkien item and as there seem to be some question marks over it, we have decided to withdraw the item. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Best wishes

Simon Luterbacher"
13 Oct, 2008
2008-10-13 9:50:34 PM UTC
Just received a reply from David Miller, he, after reading all the arguments and seeing the bloomsbury letter also believes the three items are connected and has removed the two items from abebooks. He will now contact the person who he bought them from and will try to help in finding out where the items come from.

He must be very dissapointed. i'm happy I did not buy when I was offered them, still did not find anything back on that in my mail box so far.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us