Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

21 Nov, 2008
2008-11-21 11:52:50 AM UTC
But you won't be able to differentiate using the ISBN. As both copies will have both ISBN's on the copyright page. Yes/No?

Basically this 'first 500 off the press' claim will become a mute point once these books on are on the open market; making me ask -why bother? Or why were they not numbered? (Or different in some small way.) Just seems like a this wasn't really thought through...

BH
21 Nov, 2008
2008-11-21 1:11:14 PM UTC
It still states on the FAQ on the website that it is a numbered edition and I expect that they intended it be numbered but neglected to ask Alan to number them.

There is no real value in owning this book over the £20 cheaper copy on Amazon (as it would be easy to get Alan to sign the book) and I once again feel Harper Collins have let down individuals like ourselves by overcharging for a non-exclusive copy of the book.

I might ask Trading Standards about this.
21 Nov, 2008
2008-11-21 1:29:54 PM UTC
I was unfortunate enough to be made redundant last week, so neither for me at the moment

- wellinghall
21 Nov, 2008
2008-11-21 6:44:42 PM UTC
[alpingloin:] I am in the US and I can confirm that i was unable to purchase the Deluxe TPR from Tolkien.co.uk because, "The item cannot be shipped to the country listed." I am not sure if it can be shipped outside the UK and just not to the United States, however.
I'm in the Netherlands, and I was able to order a copy to be sent over here. So was someone I know in Belgium (Beren will know him also - he frequents Dutch language Tolkien fora were Beren and I are also regulars).
21 Nov, 2008
2008-11-21 11:08:52 PM UTC
Perhaps if HC are made aware of the incorrect information on their website (about the numbering) they could also make ammends by asking Alan to only sign the 'standard' deluxe book with a personal dedication or to not sign the title page (and sign one of the end-papers instead, for example), in order to help preserve the claimed exclusivity of the first 500?

I suspect the problem of miss set expectations has come about because of the use of careless cut-and-paste from the info about the CoH signed edition. From the fairly dismal state of the their website(s) over the last couple of years I get the impression that their web-developers are probably not particularly experienced.

Stu
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 1:26:16 AM UTC
I noticed the careless cut-and-paste also. And it works the other way as well. The CoH part of the FAQ still says that the CoH is the only limited edition available signed "... and/or by Alan Lee", while at the same time the PerRs section above states that the CoH is also available. Careless indeed ...

It sometimes looks like 'careless' is the by-word of modern publishers. As in the Dutch publishers Mynx publishing with a map of M-e lacking Helm's Deep, Edoras, Parth Galen and Dagorlad. And using the (old) LotR map for UT as well, while retaining Christophers description of the new map in the introduction.

I'd like to see Trotter go to Trading Standards, I'd be interested in what they have to say about it.
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 8:11:46 AM UTC
I have emailed Harper Collins asking for a replacement copy of the Book numbered by Alan Lee.

I need to use this route before Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Authority (both now cover websites).

If I get a reply from Harper Collins, I'll post it here.
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 11:44:53 AM UTC
To be honest, I can't really see HC doing anything beyond perhaps providing a refund to anyone that kicks up a stink. I don't think they would have much choice with regards to doing that as they have - albeit presumably inadvertently - misadvertised the product thanks to that FAQ. I ordered two copies and I would not have done so if I had not been lead to believe that it was a numbered edition. That said, I'm not sure I have the energy to start posting books back to the UK...
22 Nov, 2008
2008-11-22 1:24:53 PM UTC
Good luck with this, Trotter - please let us know how you get on.

- wellinghall
23 Nov, 2008
2008-11-23 12:08:35 AM UTC
I have also emailed HarperCollins explaining why the error on their FAQ (or error with the actual books, whichever it is) is fairly material to collectors when deciding whether to make a purchase. I don't think much will happen beyond them correcting the FAQ (perhaps), but we shall see....
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us