Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Real Joy Hill letters?

5 Mar, 2010
2010-3-5 6:59:24 PM UTC

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380212451386

In the eBay auction above, the seller is offering photocopies of various letters between the original owner and GA&U negotiating to get a US book signed by Tolkien. Some of the letters are signed by Joy Hill, I noticed.

A lot just seems weird about this whole thing, but it could well be legitimate. Anyone else with more intimate knowledge have any input?

1_4b91545ea89f7.jpg 640X480 px
5 Mar, 2010
2010-3-5 10:44:37 PM UTC
It's not easy to read the letters. I'm in two minds about them, myself. On the one hand, it would seem fantastic to suppose that someone could fake letterheads of A&U, and Help the Aged. On the other hand, I can't imagine anyone English spelling 'cheque' as 'check'!
10 Mar, 2010
2010-3-10 3:01:20 PM UTC
I was also curious about the publishing date on the book. I would have thought that would have been after 1973, probably 1975 or there abouts. Anyone else have a better date? The signature looks good, but something doesn't seem right. I also agree on the check vs cheque, a little unusual at best.
10 Mar, 2010
2010-3-10 6:20:14 PM UTC
The UK spelling of cheque is used in the letter on the left, so I agree that it is very surprising that the US spelling check is in use in the right letter. I am sure that Joy Hill would not type cheque as check.

There is also nothing really tying these letters to this copy of the book, the letters refer to a signed US copy but they are reproductions and how do we know it is this copy that is referred to?
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us