Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

1973 Hobbit Collectors Edition Trade vs Book Club

8 Jul, 2011
2011-7-8 12:10:54 PM UTC

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has images of the book club edition of the 1973
green collector's edition, or knows how to identify one.

A few years ago, I picked up what appears to be a 3rd printing trade, for credit at a used book store.

I am curious, since I've read that the book club version was released in the same year. I've read that there may be distinguishing characteristics, but have been unable to find any pictures that demonstrate these.

The copyright page on my copy reads: "Third Printing H"
The page edges are green mottled. I cannot find a blind stamp mark.
Additionally, my copy has the "Rune error," which was corrected partway through the 3rd printing.

I believe this is the trade, but am not sure, as there are some issues which may indicate it is a book club edition:
1. There is a gutter code: MU1D, located on the reverse side of the map of Wilderland.
2. A hand-written gift inscription, dated March 28, 1974, indicates "Book-of-the-Month-Club. (I realize this may indicate a private book of the month group, rather than the book's actual printing origin.)

Thanks

850_4e16f33621e48.jpg 1632X1224 px

850_4e16f348178f4.jpg 1632X1224 px

850_4e16f364318db.jpg 1632X1224 px
8 Jul, 2011
2011-7-8 8:51:32 PM UTC
Hello,

As much as I know, if it isn´t mentioned on the Copyright page that it is a BOMC edition and isn´t blind stamped to the rear cover, it isn´t one.
But I´m not sure, maybe someone else know more about it.

I do not have a BOMC edition but the "normal" first edition.
The only difference I see, beside the Copyright page of course, is that I don´t have any code like yours anywhere.

774_4e176d7ecf057.jpg 1375X1031 px
8 Jul, 2011
2011-7-8 11:17:43 PM UTC
Thanks FreiWild,

That's a nice book you have there if its in any kind of decent condition!

I'm inclined to think mine is the trade...

but more than anything else, that gutter code has me curious.
I've found nothing about a gutter code for either version of the collector's edition.

I'm also curious about the copyright page now. The example of yours indicates Collectors Edition, unlike mine or any other copy I've seen that wasn't a first printing.

I've never seen a 2nd printing, so I don't know if it will include that part, but as well, I've seen all sorts of later printings from 7 up, where the printing was indicated numerically, rather than spelled out.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us