Tolkien Collector's Guide
1st editions of LotR
(1) 2
By Morgan

1st editions of LotR

Apr 17, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace (edited)
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

I've been looking into buying copies of A&U LotR with first-edition dustjackets (don't have any as of now), and found a FR (1st/10th) back here for ca. £70. The dj has a sunned spine and small tear at the top of the spine. I know it's not a once-in-a-lifetime bargain -- would you recommend me to wait and watch for other copies, or is it a decent price? Thanks for any thoughts.

By laurel

Re: 1st editions of LotR

Apr 17, 2012 - in Collector's Marketplace
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Hi
£70 sounds a little steep to me
A 4th 1955 FOTR just sold for £57 on ebay which wasnt a bad buy. I think at £70 I would wait or make an offer ?

By Morgan

From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Thank you, laurel! Indeed, considering the example you have, I should definitely abide my time.

By laurel

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

morgan
pm'd you

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Come on laurel! , I like talking prices down, but £57, for a FR 1955 4th, is pretty damn cheap --unless it was in poor condition. Even on mighty eBay £57 for something that early is quite low. You could easily expect to see an auction like this spiral to over £100, if the condition was top drawer. That said, £70 isn't particularly amazing for a FR 10th; unless, again, it's a really smart copy. Even then...

So, Morgan, no, it isn't a bargain. There are plenty of 1960's copies of LR kicking around.

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

For example...

J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship Of The Ring, 1st Edition, 4th Impression.

Perhaps (£169) the other end of the price range, but not untypical.

BH

You drive a hard bargain – you can have it for £10 all-in – one consolation (for you) is that you do not have to hear the cries of my children, for bread...

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Or for an even more terrible price...

J.R.R. Tolkien, Fellowship of the Ring, 1966, last impression before the 2nd

Actually, think this might belong in another part of the forum...

BH

By Morgan

From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

Thanks for the thoughts and links, Khamul! Hm, it seems like the seller I found has a pretty reasonable price, then. Not a bargain, but not overpriced.

From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Aye, middle-of-the-road stuff...

BH

Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship

It was in fact I who bought the fourth impression FOTR earlier today! If the book matches the description gven, it will be a decent price for the book.

I agree that it should be possible, even now, to put together a reasonable first edition set for £30 to £50 for each volume. However, you will have to keep your eyes open, take your time and not be tempted to overbid!

(1) 2
All original content © 2018 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us