Tolkien Collector's Guide
Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Is my US Book of Lost Tales 1 a 1st/1st?

6 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-6 2:04:16 AM UTC

Hello.

Online, I recently purchased a "Brand New" copy of JRR/Christopher Tolkien's "The History of Middle-earth: The Book of Lost Tales (Part 1)" for $30.00 (American Edition).

The number line reads: QWF 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I bought it based on the fact that the number line appears complete and the seller listed it as a "1st Edition". However, I have my doubts now because the text on the top of the front of dusk jacket reads "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, VOLUME I, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN", but on another copy I own (which I believe to be a 1st/1st (has full number line)), the top text only reads: "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN". Also, the copy I already own has "Part One" in GOLD font at the bottom of the dust jacket front (right above "JRR TOLKIEN"), and the book i just bought has the "Part One" in WHITE text.

One of them must NOT be a 1st/1st if their is ANY difference at all in the dusk jacket text, correct? Or maybe the seller put a later-printed dusk jacket on the book? He says he didn't, but who knows.

Additionally, what do the letters ("QWF") next to the number line mean?... NOTE: the copy I already own has an "S" as opposed to the "QWF".

Thanks very much!

EDIT: Re-sized Pictures Trotter

10_518750c66bedb.jpg 424X634 px

10_518750d273dec.jpg 640X480 px
6 May, 2013 (edited)
2013-5-6 3:17:07 AM UTC

aceofspades1916 wrote:
Hello.

Online, I recently purchased a "Brand New" copy of JRR/Christopher Tolkien's "The History of Middle-earth: The Book of Lost Tales (Part 1)" for $30.00 (American Edition).

The number line reads: QWF 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

I bought it based on the fact that the number line appears complete and the seller listed it as a "1st Edition". However, I have my doubts now because the text on the top of the front of dusk jacket reads "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, VOLUME I, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN", but on another copy I own (which I believe to be a 1st/1st (has full number line)), the top text only reads: "THE HISTORY OF MIDDLE-EARTH, CHRISTOPHER TOLKIEN". Also, the copy I already own has "Part One" in GOLD font at the bottom of the dust jacket front (right above "JRR TOLKIEN"), and the book i just bought has the "Part One" in WHITE text.

One of them must NOT be a 1st/1st if their is ANY difference at all in the dusk jacket text, correct? Or maybe the seller put a later-printed dusk jacket on the book? He says he didn't, but who knows.

Additionally, what do the letters ("QWF") next to the number line mean?... NOTE: the copy I already own has an "S" as opposed to the "QWF".

Thanks very much!

It certainly differs from my 1st/1st of the US BoLT 1:

- On my copy, "Part One" on the front is gold.
- On my copy, the number line starts with "S", not QWF.
- On my copy, the "Volume 1" is omitted from the title.
- On my copy there is no ISBN for the paperback, which makes sense as the Hardback would have been published long before there was a paperback version.
- On my copy, HM address is 2 Park Street, Boston Mass, not the New York Address. I think they changed to New York some time in 1991 or 1992.

My copy has a price of $14.95 - what price is listed on yours, as that should tell you how recent it is. For comparison, the 1st/1st of Peoples in 1996 was $26.95

Some kind of Book Club Edition? What publisher is shown on the spine (HM or HMH?)
6 May, 2013
2013-5-6 7:40:48 PM UTC
Stu, thanks for the thorough reply.

The spine displays "Houghton Mifflin". I don't have a photo that shows the price, so I will have to check that when the book arrives.

I wonder if it IS a bookclub edition... good point. I'll have to look for that as well.

Thanks for the feedback!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us