Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Very Sad News about Colin Dexter, author of Inspector Morse
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Colin Dexter, author of the Inspector Morse books, has died aged 86.
His publisher said in a statement on Tuesday: "With immense sadness, MacMillan announces the death of Colin Dexter who died peacefully at his home in Oxford this morning."
His series of 13 Morse novels, written between 1975 and 1999, were adapted for the long-running ITV series, starring John Thaw.
Dexter's characters also featured in spin-off shows Lewis and Endeavour.
Dexter wrote his first Morse novel, Last Bus to Woodstock, in 1975 while on holiday in Wales.
He killed off the detective in the final book The Remorseful Day.
Before becoming a full-time writer he spent 13 years teaching Latin and Greek.
Maria Rejt, Dexter's most recent editor at MacMillan, said the author had "inspired all those who worked with him".
"His loyalty, modesty and self-deprecating humour gave joy to many. His was the sharpest mind and the biggest heart, and his wonderful novels and stories will remain a testament to both," she said.
Norman Colin Dexter was born in 1930, in Stamford, Lincolnshire, and studied Classics at Cambridge University.
He worked as a teacher from 1954 to 1966, before moving to Oxford where he set his books about Inspector Morse and his assistant, Sergeant Lewis.
Carlton Productions made 33 TV Morse films with Thaw in the lead role alongside Kevin Whately as Lewis. Dexter himself appeared in cameo roles.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39342698

Very good author, and also a very good set of TV series, Tolkien was mentioned a few times in Lewis episodes.

I expect in the current TV series, Endeavour, an actor may play Tolkien or Lewis at some point.

Posted on: 3/21 7:36:04

Re: Very Sad News about Colin Dexter, author of Inspector Morse
Thain
From Oregon, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for sharing this, Trotter. I haven't had a chance to read Inspector Morse yet myself, but will probably have to move those books closer to the top of my to-read pile. Where should I start?

Posted on: 3/21 10:53:11

Re: Very Sad News about Colin Dexter, author of Inspector Morse
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Start with the first novel, Last Bus to Woodstock, either read or watch the TV series, and I would recommend in this case watching the TV Series, as they are excellent.

Tolkien was very much influenced by being an academic in Oxford, and I think, that Colin Dexter's books and the TV series, gives an idea as to what it was like to be an academic in Oxford, at a close time to the Professor.

Though Oxford, if you watch the TV series, has a lot of murders, probably does not represent reality.

Posted on: 3/21 11:00:53

(edited)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]