5 hours 27 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Tolkien & Baynes
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
We all know the illustrations Baynes did for Tolkien (and Lewis) books. She also drew the map of Middle Earth. If i remember well they did a limited printing of this map (100 pieces) of which 3 were signed by both Baynes and Tolkien. Does anyone have any info on this.

Do there exist any other limited Baynes (Tolkien) related items? I got the Middle Earth map towel... but also there have not a lot of info.

I'm trying to get a Baynes - Tolkien article ready but i'm missing good informations. Should i go and dive into any specific archive or write someone specific to get the info?

Posted on: 2006/6/5 12:09

Re: Tolkien & Baynes
Home away from home
From UK
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
There were three Pauline Baynes posters:

Map of Middle-earth
There and Back Again
Bilbo's Last Song

There are jigsaws of the second two (and maybe the first one as well?)

I have a promo poster from 1981 that shows the Pauline Baynes slipcase artwork - will send you a picture if you like.

There is correspondence between A&U and PB at Reading, but this only goes up to 1968. Wayne and Christina are working on a book about Pauline Baynes, but as far as I know there is no publication date yet.

Posted on: 2006/6/5 14:11

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
There's a puzzle for the first one as well (The Map of Middle-earth).

Bilbo's Last Song (the poster) is actually the true first edition for that Tolkien poem. I don't have my Hammond at this computer to give the reference, but I thought that was an interesting tidbit.

There was a deluxe LOTR boxed set from Ballantine in the early 70's (larger trade paperback format) that had full color Baynes illustrations on each cover, and the Map on the box.

Jeremy

Posted on: 2006/6/5 14:28

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Thanks for this info... but i do have all the objects mentioned. I'm trying to located the limited edition print of the maps poster of which three were signed (by Baynes and Tolkien). I'm also trying to find the history behind the map of Middle-earth towel. These were given on a celebration by Allen&Unwin to the personel and i'm quit sure also Tolkien was there and had a towel like that one also.

Posted on: 2006/6/6 1:05

Thain
From California, USA
Group:
Thain
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Haven't heard of the towel, interesting find.

Hammond (I wrote a long response and the board ate it, grrr, so now I am winging from memory) in Eii4 says the Baynes poster had 50 copies made marked as private press, 7500 copies made on normal paper (I forget the paper type, he is specific), and an unspecified number on glossy paper. An unknown number (possibly 0, Hammond never saw one) were also printed with Ballantine Books printed on the bottom and sent to the USA. Hammond also says that an unknown number were signed by Tolkien (with a water based ink so some smeared). No mention of Baynes signing them is made. Hammond's source is a GA&U memo circa 1970, so perhaps Deagol will find out more information during his research.

The Tolkienalia list from Beyond Bree (1992) does not mention any signed copies, but it's a sporadic source (great info on what it does list, but it is by no means a complete list).

Did Pauline do any special illustrations for Amon Hen or Mallorn issues (i.e. not just reprints of illustrations that appear elsewhere)?

Posted on: 2006/6/6 10:06

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]