Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 7:48:42 PM UTC
Pretty sure this is the same copy as discussed a few pages back (pgs 81-83). Of course, you could "but it now" on Abebooks for £695...

J.R.R .Tolkien, The Silmarillion, 1st/ 1st, signed by Christopher Tolkien (Buy-It-Now £750)

BH

2 Feb, 2012 (edited)
2012-2-2 7:57:49 PM UTC
If these prices continue to be in fashion I could likely add the 1st/1st Silmarillion I bought for £20 to our thread on "lucky finds".

Edit: Well, always read the small prints - a signed copy is of course a whole different league!
2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 8:18:53 PM UTC
Only ever bargains from this particular vendor. Still, making these books available is a great service to the fan base.:)

(ducks)
2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 8:31:04 PM UTC
When you first typed that Morgan I wondered what you were talking about!

Yip, £750 would have been a little steep for just a plain old First Edition. It's still steep for a book that was bought for £268; assuming this is the same copy. That price, in itself, was pretty high for eBay, based on previous auctions. But, you could make an offer...

BH
2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 9:00:46 PM UTC
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 9:21:47 PM UTC

Khamul wrote:
When you first typed that Morgan I wondered what you were talking about!

Yip, £750 would have been a little steep for just a plain old First Edition. It's still steep for a book that was bought for £268; assuming this is the same copy. That price, in itself, was pretty high for eBay, based on previous auctions. But, you could make an offer...

BH

To be fair to the vendor (not that I like being fair), purchase price doesn't really have to be tied to selling price. I would just be questioning whether it would be worth getting one CT signed book this way or getting three copies of the signed SD CoH for the same money.

Not that I'd ever want 3 signed SD CoHs.

Oh wait... looks in cupboard.... D'oh!
2 Feb, 2012
2012-2-2 9:31:34 PM UTC
Last I checked you were keeping your books on your car roof, not in your cupboard!

BH
3 Feb, 2012
2012-2-3 12:53:35 AM UTC

Khamul wrote:
Last I checked you were keeping your books on your car roof, not in your cupboard!

BH

Nah, I switched to buckling them into the passenger seat and taking them for rides... :)
5 Feb, 2012
2012-2-5 6:34:40 PM UTC
I see dogfark's listing still contains the statement: As far as we know this is the only known printing of the story- The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth. --which is clearly in error!

J.R.R .Tolkien, The Hobbit and Other Stories. Unread, Rare! (Buy-It-Now £99)

Unless, of course, Mfaith is still claiming this as fact; or can't convince his other (as far as we know...) colleagues of the error. Can we not get this corrected Mfaith?

I'm not knowingly aware of inaccuracy I've posted, but I can say that many so called facts in the Tolkien book world aren't. It is simply because someone well known has said so and it can't be disproved.

-Mfaith
It's printed in other Tolkien books --you must have noticed.

BH

7 Feb, 2012
2012-2-7 9:58:38 PM UTC
Seriously, how much sense does this not make?

The Silmarillion, Tolkien. Rare & Excellent First Edition

This in particular:-

This copy has the correct typo on the following page: Page 330 line 4 has a missing full-stop after 'Feanor'. Interestingly - Page 352 line 39 has NOT got an italicised 'and' which it did in subsequent prints which were then corrected in later editions. A very scarce book - the William Clowes-printed export edition (which shows no price on the dust cover).

So let's get this straight --this seller is claiming the "and" is not italicised (as it should be) in this copy --& that in subsequent copies it was --& that later this was "corrected"! How about this more probable version: it was italicised in the earliest copies (in error) & was later corrected --you have the latter. Oh, hold on --you have a Book Club copy!

They add:-

There is a later edition of this wonderful book for sale on another website for nearly £400 - and that one has no rear map!

Really? You could probably tempt dogfark to part with his signed!!!! copy for £400! This kind of auction does my head in.

BH

Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us