Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

HarperCollins update

5 Mar, 2009
2009-3-5 1:04:30 AM UTC

David Brawn has gotten back to me with some answers to questions I asked (mostly based on questions posed here in the forums or in private emails to me). I thought I would summarize here as well as tracking down all the threads and posting snippets all over the forums.

Sigurd and Gudrun Super Deluxe will be available to ship to the USA at the same time as the rest of the world, now that HC and Houghton Mifflin have an arrangement in place. Only the Super Deluxe editions are covered, though, so other titles/specials from tolkien.co.uk are still not allowed to ship to the USA.

He appreciated the feedback on pricing and number of copies for S&G - sounds like HC is still mulling those over a bit, so keep the discussion going! They are definitely interested in feedback now and in the future. Though I imagine they won't produce just twenty of them and give them out here for free.

Evidently he was not aware of the Tree and Leaf not being on the website yet as previously announced - that is being addressed now, so we should expect to see it there soon.

As for customer service/performance of Tolkien.co.uk as a retail site, it was good to hear from David that they have already changed the service provider they contracted with twice, always with better service in mind. They are definitely trying to get it right.
5 Mar, 2009
2009-3-5 11:41:01 AM UTC
It must be an absolute pain in the backside, for a guy like David Brawn to see (& hear) about the nonsense customers put up with on the ground. I'm sure he's genuinely taking feedback on board. Good stuff.

Really surprised to hear that they're not going to go with your 20 numbered & signed copies, to be distributed free idea tho'...

BH
5 Mar, 2009
2009-3-5 12:53:10 PM UTC
As if by magic 'Tree and Leaf' appears on the site.

http://tolkien.co.uk/Beyond_Middle-Earth/pages/home.aspx
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 5:49:55 AM UTC
Looks like HarperCollins are trying to get some more money from the signed 'Tales from the Perilous Realm', was £60 on the web site now £350.

Don't think they'll get many takers at the new price.

If you click on the links they both go to the Children of Hurin Super-Deluxe.

10_49b9f37765086.jpg 776X311 px
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 10:13:14 AM UTC
Sigh.
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 11:57:03 AM UTC
The link has been repaired. Someone must watch this forum! If so, they should also note that the main Tolkien page has a link purporting to be to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, which is actually only to "Vol. 2" (really Vol. 1), the Chronology. Neither the other separate volume, the Reader's Guide, nor the boxed set appears in the "Tolkien and Middle-earth" category in which the Chronology is shown. One can find all of these, not in the "official Tolkien bookstore", but only by a search through the main HarperCollins site -- where, however, the boxed set is dated "November 2008" (actually 2006), the Chronology is correctly listed as Vol. 1 but has a picture and description for the Reader's Guide, and the Reader's Guide is correctly listed as Vol. 2 but has a picture and description for the Chronology. Sigh, indeed.

Wayne and Christina
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 2:00:11 PM UTC
Now the website is setup to take reservations for copies of the new Sig&Gud books. It is just a quick name and email reservation, no actual ordering or payment yet. I wonder if they are trying to get an early gauge on demand?
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 5:57:13 PM UTC
States '£250'. Don't think they can't go back on it now! Cheers alpingloin!

BH
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 11:42:20 PM UTC
I believe that David Brawn had already stated GBP 250 and 500 copies some weeks ago (according to article on Beren's site), so this isn't really any kind of surprise.

In truth, I think the "discounted from GBP 350 for a limited time only" claim is just to make it seem like you are already getting a discount ("quick! buy now!!"), but in reality GBP 250 is the *undiscounted* base price. It's a (fairly obvious) obvious strategy to try to mitigate the risk of potential buyers sitting and waiting things out, given HCs track record of on again/off again 30% discounting. Long term, I suspect the selling price will be in the GBP 175 region (30% off the GBP 250).

Really, this reservation is just marketing and they are trying to get an idea of the size of the interest. If I was them, I would probably follow exactly this strategy.

Stu
14 Mar, 2009
2009-3-14 7:36:02 AM UTC
Just received my copy of 'Tree and Leaf' paperback with the new cover.

The book is a 7th impression of this edition http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=53280.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us