Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 11:57:03 AM UTC
The link has been repaired. Someone must watch this forum! If so, they should also note that the main Tolkien page has a link purporting to be to The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide, which is actually only to "Vol. 2" (really Vol. 1), the Chronology. Neither the other separate volume, the Reader's Guide, nor the boxed set appears in the "Tolkien and Middle-earth" category in which the Chronology is shown. One can find all of these, not in the "official Tolkien bookstore", but only by a search through the main HarperCollins site -- where, however, the boxed set is dated "November 2008" (actually 2006), the Chronology is correctly listed as Vol. 1 but has a picture and description for the Reader's Guide, and the Reader's Guide is correctly listed as Vol. 2 but has a picture and description for the Chronology. Sigh, indeed.

Wayne and Christina
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 2:00:11 PM UTC
Now the website is setup to take reservations for copies of the new Sig&Gud books. It is just a quick name and email reservation, no actual ordering or payment yet. I wonder if they are trying to get an early gauge on demand?
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 5:57:13 PM UTC
States '£250'. Don't think they can't go back on it now! Cheers alpingloin!

BH
13 Mar, 2009
2009-3-13 11:42:20 PM UTC
I believe that David Brawn had already stated GBP 250 and 500 copies some weeks ago (according to article on Beren's site), so this isn't really any kind of surprise.

In truth, I think the "discounted from GBP 350 for a limited time only" claim is just to make it seem like you are already getting a discount ("quick! buy now!!"), but in reality GBP 250 is the *undiscounted* base price. It's a (fairly obvious) obvious strategy to try to mitigate the risk of potential buyers sitting and waiting things out, given HCs track record of on again/off again 30% discounting. Long term, I suspect the selling price will be in the GBP 175 region (30% off the GBP 250).

Really, this reservation is just marketing and they are trying to get an idea of the size of the interest. If I was them, I would probably follow exactly this strategy.

Stu
14 Mar, 2009
2009-3-14 7:36:02 AM UTC
Just received my copy of 'Tree and Leaf' paperback with the new cover.

The book is a 7th impression of this edition http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=53280.
14 Mar, 2009
2009-3-14 3:24:53 PM UTC
Reading thro' Beren's articles (Stu) I don't see any mention of the proposed price; certainly not from David Brawn (altho' I may have missed this.)

The automated email does state 'pre-order', as if you've made some commitment to purchase; which I don't think I have. Your probably correct in suggesting this is to gauge interest in title. But I can't imagine the market reacting with anything other than stagnation, if they were to sell to pre-orderers at £250, and then immediately put up to £350 upon release. Everyone would just wait until it was discounted again. But with the explicit information that it will indeed be £350, they will (legally I would guess) have to sell it at £350 at some point.

BH
14 Mar, 2009
2009-3-14 11:04:31 PM UTC
Khamul - You are correct, it was not from David Brawn, as it seems I was confusing two articles from TL round about the same time. However, the statement of it being 500 copies was/is at the end of the FAQ article from 17.02.09. It was reading that which prompted me to start the "Super-Deluxe Sigurd and Gudrun" thread. The 250 RRP was (and is) in the 07.02.09 update. I feel sure I read a single item that had both bits of information, but perhaps my mind connected the two bits of info.

Stu
15 Mar, 2009
2009-3-15 7:29:45 PM UTC
With reference to Tree and Leaf (from a couple of posts ago).

I found the book at http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ and discounted also and with Free Worldwide Delivery (for me 6.20 Euros delivered).

It is probably available on Amazon, but as Amazon have not updated the stock photo, it is hard to be certain.

In any case, The Book Depository (who actually also sell on Amazon as a 3rd Party Seller) seems to be a good deal, especially with the Free Delivery.

Just placed the order, so have not received the book yet, but I have ordered from them before (but through Amazon as I did not know they had their own website) - and all was well with previous orders.

Anyway, just thought this information may be useful for buyers outside the UK as with a weak sterling and free worldwide delivery, it makes purchasing from them quite economical (and cheaper than ordering through Harpercollins own website also - even with the 30% discount).

They seem to have pretty much the full range of Tolkien Editions available also.
16 Mar, 2009
2009-3-16 3:09:04 AM UTC
Christina and I also bought our copy of the new Tree and Leaf through the Book Depository. It arrived quickly, was well packed, and has the correct (new) cover. We use the Book Depository most of the time now for U.K. book orders, though Amazon.co.uk sometimes has the edge in availability and price.

Wayne
18 Mar, 2009
2009-3-18 8:02:45 PM UTC
I'll give them a try in the future, when buying "Tree and Leaf" from HarperCollins web site the postage was about the same as the discounted book
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us