Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Sigurd and Gudrun Deluxe
Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Disappointing that it doesn't match the existing Deluxe Editions (oval around the JRRT logo, etc), but still looks quite nicely done. Only 34.99 on Amazon.co.uk as a pre-order, which seems pretty good.

Stu

Attach file:

jpg  047956-FC50.jpg (48.21 KB)
228_49ed9f595b271.jpg 500X856 px

Posted on: 2009/4/21 3:27

Re: Sigurd and Gudrun Deluxe
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Nice photo, Stu. I think the book looks great. Very nice color scheme, although I agree, the oval, etc. does throw it off a bit. I am still upset that they did away with the hand-cut hole in the side of the slipcase. I thought that came off very nice on the Hobbit, and should have been maintained for the entire deluxe series. Oh well, I guess this one is really not part of Tolkien's middle earth, anyway. Whatever the case, I will be happy to add it to my collection.

Where did you find this photo? Did you happen to already get a copy? If you did, can you tell us who the printer is? The previous books from this series were printed in Italy by LEGO SPA. However, the Tales from the Perilous Realm was done by another printer (supposedly meeting the same specs as the others), and I feel it had a different feel to it. The spine did not seem to quite match the first 4 books of this deluxe series.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 6:01

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Also, according to Amazon, the deluxe (or special as it also seems to be called) edition will contain a facsimile page of Tolkien's original manuscript. The regular edition will not contain this.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 8:56

Home away from home
From Queenstown, New Zealand
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
>Where did you find this photo? Did you happen to already get a copy? If you did, can you tell us who the printer is? The previous books from this series were printed in Italy by LEGO SPA. However, the Tales from the Perilous Realm was done by another printer (supposedly meeting the same specs as the others), and I feel it had a different feel to it. The spine did not seem to quite match the first 4 books of this deluxe series.

The photo was on the HarperCollins UK webserver. I found a link direct to the image on another forum, so unfortunately, I know nothing more than is shown. I suspect it might be a different printer again from the ToPM, as although it has a thinner/much poorer quality slipcase (like ToPM did), it doesn't also have the flatter spine (which might just be because it isn't as thick, of course). Could be printed by anyone, anywhere, really. Time will tell.

I think it will look somewhat out of place next to the existing UK editions (like putting the US Deluxe CoH next to the HC ones), but it will be fine on another section of shelf.

Stu

Posted on: 2009/4/21 15:32

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Stu, I also was unimpressed by the thinner slipcase and flatter spine of the Tales from the Perilous Realm, and at first I thought the flat spine might be more to do with thickness. However, my deluxe LotR even has a more convex spine and it is much much thicker than TftPR. It really is too bad that we live in a time where companies have to compromise on quality in order to make a profit. Of course I will buy this, and will have to be satisfied with what I get, but I would rather pay a couple extra bucks to get a nicer slipcase and finely bound book.

Posted on: 2009/4/21 16:00

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]