Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

Gorgeous Custom Silmarillion

19 May, 2009
2009-5-19 4:34:37 PM UTC

Way (way) out of my price range, but someone did a stunning custom binding job on this Silmarillion!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300309157149
19 May, 2009
2009-5-19 9:29:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the compliment, Jeremy. That is my book and my listing. It is the final product of a project I did last year. It was a sort of collaboration with David Miller. He had experience with custom binding in the past and thus had a lot of good contacts (die maker, binder, marbled paper artist, etc.). I must admit that he did the vast majority of the legwork, whereas I contributed only to the design, colors schemes, etc. A total of four books were bound in such a fashion. I own two and he owns the other two. The only difference was that I elected to have the full leather clamshell made for both of my copies. I believe that he was planning to make marbled paper slipcases for his.

With regard to cost, it is negotiable if someone is truly interested. However, the project expenses were steep. A binding of this quality, with all of the custom die work and full leather (especially since I had the book and the case done in full leather), is very very expensive. Add-in the cost of the original book, shipping costs, and everything else that went into it, and I am not really making money on the deal.

My goal, however, was not to make a bunch of money, but to create the nicest copy of the Silmarillion I could. I had always felt that there wasn't a proper treatment of the Silmarillion available, with the exceptions of the 1982 Super Deluxe and the 1998 Signed Illustrated Deluxe. The 1982 SD is rarely available and goes for astronomical prices. The 1998 Signed Deluxe is one of my favorite books in terms of colors, but the cloth boards are subject to fraying and, well, you all know the shortfalls of the Harper Collins deluxe books. So, that is when I sought out David to help direct the project.

I also have a copy done in dark blue (it is all dark blue, as opposed to having gold cloth in the clamshell case). The dark blue copy is a first state of the Clowes edition, with the minor textual points to show (since it no longer has the original headband and cloth boards!). The dark blue was chosen to match the original boards. I made sure that I used copies of the book that were in pristine condition in order to achieve the best final result. It was kind of a shame disassembling very nice original cloth books, but I figure that there were plenty of them out there, as opposed to early Hobbits or LotRs. I am sure that some purists would not agree that it is okay to disassemble such a book, but it was honestly out of a deep love for the Silmarillion that this project was ever attempted.

If anyone is interested in seeing photos of my dark blue copy, I would be happy to post them here. I love to show them off, and rarely get a chance to share them with people who truly appreciate them. That may be one reason I chose to put one up for sale - just so people could see it! I hate to see one go, but I am feeling the pinch of overzealous collecting lately and need to sink some money into my house right now, so.....

Also, David Miller's copies are listed on Beren's website here:

http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/dmiller/custom-silmarillion.htm

The terra-cotta color was a tribute to the 1998 Signed Deluxe edition.
20 May, 2009
2009-5-20 2:22:53 AM UTC
Here are a couple of photos of the dark blue version. I spent quite a bit of time trying to get nice photos of these books that really represent the quality. I had more difficulty photographing this one, but you should get the idea. (if you click on the images, they do not appear quite as grainy.)

57_4a13695134dcc.jpg 800X600 px

57_4a13695e06d70.jpg 800X600 px

57_4a13696c269aa.jpg 800X600 px

57_4a136974c0f1d.jpg 600X800 px
20 May, 2009
2009-5-20 5:17:46 PM UTC
One last comment, and then I'll quit blabbing about my books....

If anyone actually is interested in purchasing one, feel free to PM me and we can work out a price outside of ebay. I could pass on the savings of not paying ebay fees to the buyer, which would sweeten the deal. Also, I would be willing to sell either the medium blue one that is currently on ebay, or the dark blue one shown in my previous post. I only ever intended to keep only one of them, I just couldn't decide which one to have made, so I did one of each. They both turned out lovely, so I would be quite happy to keep either one.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that no one minds my use of this forum to show these books. I don't mean to turn it into a classified ad. This is truly the only Tolkien related forum that I enjoy, and I feel that the contributors actually 'contribute' to the collecting community. Thanks!
22 May, 2009
2009-5-22 10:12:50 AM UTC
Really very, very nice. Well done to all concerned. I wish I could afford it!!!

Stu
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us