Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

13 Mar, 2010
2010-3-13 5:54:40 AM UTC
Issue Three of the Festival in the Shire Journal is now available (a great resource by the way, thanks to all for producing it).

http://festivalintheshire.com/journal/index.html

"In our last issue we focussed upon several important Tolkien artists. In this new issue we listen to what some formative scholars have to say about his writings and literary achievement. We feature Verlyn Flieger, whose views pioneered an examination of Tolkien as a maker of myth, appealing to what is universal in our human makeup. She continues to stimulate and shape thinking about Tolkien, in for example her recent study of Tolkien’s seminal essay, “On Fairy Stories” with Douglas A. Anderson. We also have interviews from two scholars representing in their various ways something of a new wave of scholarship: Michael Drout and Dimitra Fimi. Dimitra’s study of Celtic and Welsh elements in Tolkien are part of the inspiration for Festival in the Shire. A major review of her ground-breaking study, Tolkien, Race and Cultural History: From Fairies to Hobbits also appears in this issue.

This does not mean we’ve ignored the impact of Tolkien-inspired art. The Journal has interviewed Tolkien artist Stephen Walsh about his distinctive work, and much-praised director and producer of the film Born of Hope, Kate Madison, who is also among the cast. (The Times gave the film 4 stars.) Chad Walsh also has viewed the film for us, following his review of another Tolkien “fan movie” in the last issue.

The Tolkien Professor continues his series of lucid and concise introductions to Tolkien’s writings with one on “Leaf by Niggle,” illuminating one of the most personal of his fictions. Our youngest contributor – Jodie Storer of Ironville & Codnor Park Primary School – tells us of a magical visit to the Bodleian Library and one of Tolkien’s Oxford colleges, and reveals future plans of her school’s Myth & Magic Tolkien Reading & Language Fellowship. Jodie and her fellow-pupil Abbie Taylor (who was originally going to write this article for the Journal, but was prevented by illness) are among the speakers at the conference during the Festival in the Shire."
1 May, 2010 (edited)
2010-5-1 7:10:17 AM UTC
Issue Four of the Festival in the Shire Journal is now available

http://festivalintheshire.com/journal/index.html

"As I write this, I’ve not long returned from giving a talk on Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, J.K. Rowling and magical creatures as part of St George’s Day events in Lancaster. England’s national day celebrates a dragon-slayer! The occasion made me think once again how rich is the imagination of J.R.R. Tolkien. This new issue of the Journal reflects the plenitude of Tolkien’s invention – from demonic Balrogs to Tom Bombadil, “Master of wood, water and hill”. In this issue, visual artists, writers and scholars, all take part in what is a lively and continuing conversation about the creator of Middle-earth and his writings. Contributors range in age from a retired school headteacher to a primary (elementary) school pupil.

After this issue, I’ll be passing the privileged task of editing the Journal to the omni-capable Alex Lewis, a long-time friend who, as writer and scholar, has participated in the Tolkien fan community for many years. I’ll be staying on, however, as a consultant editor and hope to contribute to the Journal from time to time. Other pressing commitments take me from this task, including the completion of my next book!
As editor I’ve experienced once again astonishment at seeing how the work of a pipe-smoking, erudite scholar with an impatience over the increasing presence of Mordor in our midst has the power to bring together a rich diversity of people from around the planet – readers, writers, scholars and fan groups, audiences of many kinds, the young, the old, hobbits and elves. As editor, I’ve also enjoyed being able to write a very long sentence and getting away with it!

Colin Duriez"

I'm very jealous of Brian Sibley’s copy of “The Adventures of Tom Bombadil", a picture of which is included in his article and I also really like the Michael Hordern anecdote in the same article
1 May, 2010
2010-5-1 1:29:55 PM UTC
Mark, I will answer this when a check something out which I've not had a clear answer on.

"I have a question -

>Festival in the Shire is a three day event that will cater to the diverse interests of collectors, academics and those who simply enjoyed the books and films. It will be held in the heart of ‘Tolkien country’, Machynlleth the ancient historical capital of Wales, with its rich Celtic traditions and stunning location in the hills.<

Can I respectfully ask - in what way is Machynlleth 'the heart of Tolkien country?"

Mark, we are still waiting for your answer to garm's question!!!!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us