BBC Mastermind questions
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
No cheating (looking up on Wikipedia, etc) here are the questions

1 - In which city was Tolkien born on 3rd January 1892?

2 - While at King Edward's school Tolkien formed the semi secret society called the TCBS. What does TCBS stand for?

3 - In which village, often cited as one of the inspirations for the shire did he live for 4 years from 1896?

4 - What was the name of the Allen & Unwin employee who encouraged Tolkien to finish the manuscript of "The Hobbit" and submit it for publication?

5 - Which short story published in 1949 tells of a characters encounters with a giant and the dragon Chrysophylax?

6 - In the "Return of the King" which battle takes place between Hobbits and Sharkey's thugs in the Shire?

7 - Tolkien and his friend C.S, Lewis and Charles Williams were members of an informal literary group that met regularly in a public house in Oxford. What was the group called?

8 - "The Road Goes Ever On" is a song cycle featuring Tolkien's words set to music by which composer and entertainer?

9 - What is the name of the Golden Hall of the King of Rohan built by Brego at the heart of the city of Edoras?

10 - What disease transmitted by body lice did Tolkien catch while he was serving on the Western Front in 1916 resulting in his return to England on sick leave?

11 - Which birthday does Bilbo Baggins celebrate at the beginning of "The Lord of the Rings"?

12 - Which Smith of Eregion forged the three rings of the Elves?

13 - Which chapter of "The Hobbit" did Tolkien largely rewrite between 1937 and 1951 making Gollum's character fit better with the betrayal of him in "The Lord of the Rings"?

14 - Tolkien often referred to himself and his wife by the names of which two middle-earth characters, the names also appeared on their gravestones?

15 - What name was given to the three brilliant jewels made by Fëanor which contained the light of the two tree which were stolen by the Valor, Melkor?

16 - Which editor of "The Oxford English Dictionary" did Tolkien succeed as Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford in 1925?

(Started so he finished)

She got 14 answers correct on the program.

Posted on: 2010/2/12 13:48

Re: BBC Mastermind questions
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I didn't get the Professor or the A&U employee. I hadn't thought of the smith by the time my wife said the answer.

- wellinghall

Posted on: 2010/2/12 13:52

Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
They were the same questions I got wrong as well.

Going to check the questions against Wikipedia articles tomorrow!

Posted on: 2010/2/12 13:58

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
I got them all right!

Posted on: 2010/2/12 15:20

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Without looking anything up, I'm pretty sure I got them all correct, except the TCBS one; couldn't honestly say I'd have been able to answer that one if I'd been watching the show in real time. The rest I thought were pretty easy, and required very little thought. A couple of others, again if I'd been watching the show, would probably have been answered by the contestant before I'd thought of the answer myself.

BH

Posted on: 2010/2/15 8:45

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.