1 day 2 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 165 166 167 (168) 169 170 171 ... 175 »

Re: New Book Releases
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Haha I see you're a bit OCD about this, which is very cool

I did a google search for Tolkien's heraldic devices, and I felt a pang in my heart. There are such beautiful ones out there. One can only wish...

Posted on: 6/23 1:52:53

Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

Earl wrote:
Haha I see you're a bit OCD about this, which is very cool

I did a google search for Tolkien's heraldic devices, and I felt a pang in my heart. There are such beautiful ones out there. One can only wish...

Yeah, quite obsessive :)

I agree with you on the enormous choice of motifs. There would certainly be some good choices appropriate to each volume.

Posted on: 6/23 2:20:07

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
So if the actual products look anything like Stu's works (and are printed from a decent printer) it'd be a much closer to day 1 purchase for me.

As it currently stands, I'll be holding off place an order until we get more details on the actual finished product.

Posted on: 6/23 7:05:07

Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk

Velmeran wrote:
So if the actual products look anything like Stu's works (and are printed from a decent printer) it'd be a much closer to day 1 purchase for me.

As it currently stands, I'll be holding off place an order until we get more details on the actual finished product.

You and me both.

Posted on: 6/23 8:11:51

Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I was thinking about this last night (and take this with a pinch of salt, as I am not a graphic designer), but part of the problem I have with the design of the standard HoME is that it emphasises the "I", "II" and "III" on the spines far too much, as if that is more important than the title. I think it gets away with it on the dustjackets because those numerals are in non-prominent colours, so they don't dominate.

When you take that same design and translate it into a single colour (gold), it goes from being an uninspired-but-passable design to being a poor design. For me, it isn't just the lack of consistency with the other deluxe volumes that is the problem, it just isn't a good design for this specific application.

Mind you, it is all very subjective!

[Edit: If you look at the Deluxe Edition renders for Fall of Arthur, Sigurd & Gudrun, Beren & Luthien, they are clearly just the standard edition spines.]

Posted on: 6/23 14:47:31

(edited)

« 1 ... 165 166 167 (168) 169 170 171 ... 175 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.