Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 65 »

Re: New Book Releases
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Morgan,

I know it is possible to obtain a copy of a dissertation (usually in electronic form) because I have some. However, I suspect that Dr. Brown has not completed it yet. Here is a little more info from the Mythgard Institute: http://www.mythgard.org/academics/our-faculty/sara-brown/

Posted on: 2013/4/24 16:49

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Morgan: what is it that everyone was talking about? I haven't heard...

BH

Posted on: 2013/4/25 0:27

Home away from home
From Sweden
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Khamûl: Based on how the text reads in the newspaper article (my first link), people have been accusing Sara Brown of referring to a quote falsely attributed to Tolkien ("a single dream is more powerful than a thousand realitites"), making the conclusion that she must be a bad scholar. However, I did a bit of research and it appears like the author of the article has just re-arranged an earlier article (my second link), making it sound like Dr Brown is providing the quote (which she isn't in the original article).

Josh: No, I believe the Mythgard webpage is outdated. See her LinkedIn profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dr-sara-brown/12/220/b61

Posted on: 2013/4/25 2:06

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Ahh, I see; I thought that would be it. Either that or her (again probably just the article) misspelling of Middle-earth!

Her thesis entitled ‘From Abjection to Alchemy: Tolkien’s Middle Earth Legendarium’ is the result of over six years work under the supervision of Professor Lucie Armitt at the School of Humanities, Languages and Social Sciences in the University of Salford.

BH

Posted on: 2013/4/25 10:21

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Hi Morgan. I am Sara Brown and I can tell you that I had nothing to do with what was written in the article. The school I work for (Rydal Penrhos) sent a short note to the local paper thinking it might be nice publicity for the school, and the paper made up the rest. I can assure you that 1. I have indeed completed the thesis, which is why I am able to call myself Dr Brown, 2. I am perfectly capable of spelling Middle-earth, unlike the newspaper journalist, and 3. I know my Tolkien quotes. Goodness only knows where the journalist got it from.

I had no idea I was getting such stick online for this article. It's a bit sad, as I dedicated 6 years of my life to this study and I am very proud of my work. You are welcome to read the thesis - a copy is lodged at the university and in the British Library, as is standard practice.

A great pity that substandard journalism has undermined something I put my heart and soul into.

Anyone who cares to ask any questions about my work, and get actual answers from me, is welcome to contact me at sbrown@rydal-penrhos.com.

Sara

Posted on: 2013/5/11 15:40

« 1 ... 24 25 26 (27) 28 29 30 ... 65 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.