Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

16 Jul, 2015
2015-7-16 4:56:04 PM UTC
Yes I noticed Amazon was offering the new art book as a bundle with this one. Basically, for this you get the slipcase.
16 Jul, 2015
2015-7-16 10:00:36 PM UTC

Tapuvae wrote:
Yes I noticed Amazon was offering the new art book as a bundle with this one. Basically, for this you get the slipcase.

Didn't know Amazon did bundles. I thought they just recommended associated items?

I don't like this type of slipcase - shape-wise, it reminds me of commercial packaging boxes for small items that are designed to sit on retailer shelves. It seems pointless for books - the top of the pages are exposed, yet pretty much the only actual benefit of a slipcase is that it protects the page edges from dust (which this one doesn't). It also does not protect the top front edge of the books from being bumped.

It is sad that the facsimile first Hobbit couldn't make it out of the starting gate, but stuff like this is being churned out.
31 Jul, 2015 (edited)
2015-7-31 8:38:42 AM UTC
Hello, I'm returning here after a few years' hiatus :)

I wanted to ask if anyone has any information concerning the pricing of the 5-book deluxe edition box set?

It's currently being sold at Abe Books for GBP 1056. Is this a fair price?

I honestly don't think the set is worth that much; but I may be undervaluing it. Has the set sold lately on the secondary market (since HC isn't selling it anymore), and does anyone know how much it sold for?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
31 Jul, 2015
2015-7-31 10:04:35 AM UTC
Sounds expensive. Think they originally sold with an RRP £300. But with only 100 made, they don't come up for sale often and hard to put a price on (no established market).

I am pretty sure I bought 2 of these at the time (not at home to check at the moment).
31 Jul, 2015 (edited)
2015-7-31 12:09:34 PM UTC
Thanks remy. I do believe the set is way overpriced (and probably overvalued too).

Seeing as the individual books can pretty much be purchased brand new and sealed for about USD 500, it seems to me like I'd be paying USD 1100 for an empty cardboard box. I'm sure the box is nice, but really is it worth THAT much? Maybe if I was a millionaire I wouldn't question it :)

Thanks for your help, remy. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
2 Aug, 2015
2015-8-2 5:02:42 AM UTC
Worth it? Hard to say. Despite there being only 100 of these I don't think the demand is great. I believe a UK seller had one listed for 700 pounds earlier in the summer that went unsold. For me, the USD conversion still kills it at that price. Keep in mind this set contains later and inferior impressions of several of the books (unlike the 4 volume set that is mostly first impressions). Whose to say Harper Collins doesn't release another one of these sets any time now as well? So if you are a completist then I suppose this set is needed but as a latecomer to collecting myself I'd rather spend the money on something numbered and signed.
8 Aug, 2015 (edited)
2015-8-8 8:45:03 AM UTC
Thanks for chiming in Tapuvae.

I agree that, in the end, it's probably worth getting the books individually. I just managed to get the latest Beowulf deluxe edition (brand new) from ebay Australia for just USD 51. That's super cheap.

I think the seller has 1 more book left. So let me know if you want more details.

Cheers :)
12 Aug, 2015
2015-8-12 7:11:32 PM UTC
My Amazon pre-orders

A Secret Vice: Tolkien, ed Fimi and Higgins
The Art of the Lord of the Rings: Tolkien, ed Hammond and Scull
The Story of Kullervo: Tolkien, ed Flieger
The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Tolkien

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen: Bujold
The Long Utopia: Pratchett and Baxter
The Shepherd's Crown: Pratchett
League of Dragons: Novik
Our Land at War: A Portrait of Rural Britain 1939-45: Hart-Davis
The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From a Small Island: Bryson

Are there any forthcoming books I should add?

- wellinghall
12 Aug, 2015
2015-8-12 8:18:55 PM UTC
wellinghall:

My Amazon pre-orders

A Secret Vice: Tolkien, ed Fimi and Higgins
The Art of the Lord of the Rings: Tolkien, ed Hammond and Scull
The Story of Kullervo: Tolkien, ed Flieger
The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Tolkien
That last one, the H facsimile --what is that?

BH
12 Aug, 2015
2015-8-12 8:24:40 PM UTC
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us