(1) 2 »

The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]
Just can't stay away
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Available for preorder on Amazon.co.uk

Amazon link

This sumptuous gift set contains a replica of the very rare first edition of The Hobbit, plus a book about the books’s publication history and a CD of previously unreleased archive recordings featuring J.R.R. Tolkien reading from his book. The Hobbit was published on 21 September 1937 with a print run of 1,500 copies. With a beautiful cover design by the author and a coloured frontispiece painting, the book proved to be popular and was reprinted within three months, and history was already being made. The scarcity of the first edition has resulted in copies commanding huge prices, way beyond the reach of most Tolkien fans. In addition, subsequent changes to the text - particularly those to chapter five when Tolkien decided to expand the text to marry it up to events in The Lord of the Rings - mean that the opportunity to read the book in its original form and format has become quite difficult. To commemorate the 75th anniversary of publication, this special edition reprints the first edition, so that Tolkien’s book may be enjoyed in its original form. Included in the box is a CD featuring recordings of Tolkien reading extracts from the book, including more than half an hour of archive recordings only recently discovered and never before released. In addition, a full colour booklet traces the origins of The Hobbit and its publication history, complete with a gallery of artwork and covers for this remarkable book.

Dior

Posted on: 2011/7/25 1:10

Edited by Trotter on 2011/7/25 3:15:15
Edited by Trotter on 2011/7/25 3:21:03
Edited by Khamul on 2011/10/1 13:06:24

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
The CD sounds very interesting as well (30 minutes of previously unreleased Tolkien recordings)

and I see that the one volume History of the Hobbit is also available for pre-order

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0007440820/ref=oss_product

Posted on: 2011/7/25 3:13

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
This has been pushed back to September 2014 according to HarperCollins, a long wait

Posted on: 2012/10/4 12:31

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]
Not too shy to talk
Group:
Fellowship
2014 now! First this fall, then next fall, now 2 years. I preordered on Book Depository - I don't want them to have my money for 2 years before I have anything in my hands.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 20:52

Re: The Hobbit Facsimile First Edition: Boxed Set [2012]
Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Should have pre-ordered through Amazon then!

BH

Posted on: 2012/10/5 5:10

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.