Sign In
Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

23 May, 2012
2012-5-23 6:56:55 PM UTC
I am also would like to estimate the value of the same type of posters by Pauline Bayne. I have the map of Middle Earth 10th printing 1978, map of Beleriand printed 1978, map of Wilderland printed 1979 but by another artist, H.E. Riddett. I laminated them all so as to preserve them but I would like to know if this devalues them. As a consequence of laminating them they are all beautifully preserved with vivid colour intact and have never been mounted or framed. I am looking into selling them.
9 Apr, 2015
2015-4-9 1:11:16 PM UTC
How's this for a bit of thread necromancy (note: Sauron was not involved in any way, shape or form )

I still have these posters as mentioned in the first post. Over the last three years I keep debating whether to sell them or not, but am curious if the prices have changed much since I last enquired.

As mentioned, they are as follows:

Bilbo's Last Song illustrated by Pauline Baynes - Seventh Impression

Map of Middle-Earth illustrated by Pauline Baynes (the Fellowship at the top, Black Riders at the bottom) - Second Impression

Map of Beleriand (and the lands to the north) - with drawings of the emblems of the various Elven houses top and bottom - drawings of the embles by Tolkiien, map drawing by his son, Christopher

'Combined' poster - at the top is Thror's Map, at the bottom is Wilderland - both maps as seen in The Hobbit, map of Wilderland is in full colour

Bilbo Comes to the Huts of the Raft Elves - this is a poster advertisement for a 1987 exhibition at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, 'Drawings for The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien' - this contains a large print of Tolkien's original drawing, now in colour

I also have quite a number of 'postcards' with Tolkien maps, etc on them. I bought these in person from the Bodleian Library in Oxford about 20 years ago.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
9 Apr, 2015
2015-4-9 4:52:51 PM UTC
I would sell them as separate items, and not try and sell them as one item, and post your auctions on this site.
9 Apr, 2015
2015-4-9 5:37:51 PM UTC
Will do, thanks.

However, I want to list them at a fair starting price and also ensure that I get the "right" amount, so was just wondering what prices I should list them for. :)
10 Apr, 2015
2015-4-10 6:37:26 AM UTC

Mithrandir wrote:
Will do, thanks.

However, I want to list them at a fair starting price and also ensure that I get the "right" amount, so was just wondering what prices I should list them for. :)

I'd start low and advertise the auction on all the Tolkien forums. Pricing is a total guess (and one I'm not qualified to make), but if you make sure people are aware of the auctions, you should end up with a fair price.
10 Apr, 2015
2015-4-10 10:44:57 AM UTC
Okay, thanks.
10 Apr, 2015
2015-4-10 10:11:53 PM UTC
Here are some eBay results that may help guide you a bit (check the descriptions for which printing they were):

This site uses affiliate links for which we may be compensated
Seller: jeff0010x
(1214)
Ended Sep 20, 2013
This item ended more than 90 days ago
Seller: gracielou6
(2897)
Ended Dec 25, 2013

The Bodleian poster is still available from their webstore (must have printed a lot of them):
http://www.bodleianshop.co.uk/j-r-r-tolkien-s-hobbit-poster.html
£6.99
[Update] The listing says "We sell so many, it's still in print over twenty years on!", so these current ones are reprints. I have no idea if the printing is indicated on the posters, or if the newer issues are distinguishable from other printings. My copy is in storage until I get settled further, so I cannot say for mine yet.

The postcards I seem to recall seeing for maybe $5 each or so on eBay off and on, but I cannot find any listings records at the moment.

I'll see if I can find anything else to help further over the weekend.
10 Apr, 2015
2015-4-10 10:22:17 PM UTC
Here are a few more items I was able to find on eBay that may help further.

Seller: x-donna
(1879)
Ended Mar 23, 2015
Seller: emilyandjudith
(1767)
Ended Jan 24, 2015
Seller: blueroger123
(1763)
Ended Feb 18, 2015
11 Apr, 2015
2015-4-11 9:08:48 AM UTC
Excellent, many thanks.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us