Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

typo/misprint in foreword of "Sauron Defeated"

27 Oct, 2011 (edited)
2011-10-27 10:41:42 AM UTC

Hello everyone,

I have a question for the experts on this forum, or really anyone who can answer it. :)

Just out of curiosity, is the following (to my mind rather funny) typo/misprint in the foreword of "Sauron Defeated" found in all first editions? And when was it corrected? (It IS corrected in my HarperCollins paperback edition, for example.)

"Since this book was set in type Mr Rateliff has pointed out to be the source of Arundel Lowdham's allusion to..." (p. x, ll. 9-10 from the bottom)

I apologize in advance if this has been asked (and answered) before...

felagund
27 Oct, 2011 (edited)
2011-10-27 12:20:20 PM UTC
My paperback copy from 1993 has me instead of be, but I don't have any earlier editions to check (of which there are not many, 2 hardbacks and 5 paperbacks) , apart from the 1st printing which has be.
27 Oct, 2011
2011-10-27 6:15:46 PM UTC
My 1st impression of the paperback (Harper Collins 1993) has me.
28 Oct, 2011
2011-10-28 6:24:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick replies! :) I guess they caught it in time for the first paperback edition, then.

Although I'm not even sure if my (HarperCollins hardcover) first edition is first or second impression (how do you tell?), or if they'd normally reset the text between impressions (my impression was that they're only likely to do that between different editions)...i.e. still not entirely sure if there might be "corrected" hardcover copies out there. Probably not, though.

Cheers,

felagund
28 Oct, 2011
2011-10-28 6:54:03 AM UTC
The title page should look like this with only one date mentioned on the Published by line. Second impressions would have additional text on the page, referring to the later printing.

or if they'd normally reset the text between impressions (my impression was that they're only likely to do that between different editions)...i.e. still not entirely sure if there might be "corrected" hardcover copies out there. Probably not, though.

If this mistake has been spotted after the first impression then it is entirely likely that it would have been have been changed.

If you do not already own a copy then you really need to get J.R.R. Tolkien - A Descriptive Bibliography by Wayne G. Hammond and Douglas A. Anderson, for an insight into how Tolkien's books changed by impression

10_4eaa518bb6914.jpg 768X853 px
28 Oct, 2011
2011-10-28 6:55:48 AM UTC
The Second Printing has a numberline towards the bottom of the Copyright Page as follows "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2".
28 Oct, 2011
2011-10-28 7:51:24 AM UTC
Thanks again everybody...

So I've learned that my copy of SD is first impression--title page looks exactly like the one Trotter uploaded (thanks for taking the time!), that is without the number line remy also describes.

Well then, anybody own a second impression (UK hardcover) copy who can enlighten us as to whether "be" was indeed changed to "me"?

BTW, would one actually find this kind of very detailed information in the Hammond/Anderson Bibliography, I mean do they really record every single misprint or other error of any kind that was ever noted and subsequently corrected (or not, as may be)?? For example, would it answer this specific question?

I've been thinking of buying the Descriptive Bibliography before (a standard work I know), but it's a little bit on the pricey side if you're not quite the serious collector...anybody have a copy they wanna sell at a low price? ;) Juuust kidding.

Cheers,

felagund
28 Oct, 2011
2011-10-28 10:35:24 AM UTC
Have a second printing at home. Will check and post later (if someone does not post in the meantime).
8 Nov, 2011
2011-11-8 9:33:28 AM UTC
What happened, remy? Can't find the copy? Or haven't been home yet? :)
Still curious, is all I'm saying...thanks in advance!
Sorry for being hasty, hrum, hoom.

Cheers,

felagund
8 Nov, 2011
2011-11-8 11:09:48 AM UTC
Sorry, completely forgot!!

Will check when I get home today. Have set a reminder on my phone so I won't forget.

Apologies!!
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us