4 hours 37 minutes ago

remy
13 hours 23 minutes ago

Karl
15 hours 29 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Value of artwork
Just popping in
I have a piece of artwork similar to the one on this site...

http://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/w ... d/index.php?page=Sothebys

Lot 145 - [TOLKIEN, J. R. R.] - Cauty, James. "Lord of the Rings," original drawing in ink, pencil and crayon, signed ("Jimmy Cauty"), Kingsbridge, Devonshire, 1975-76, on poster board (29 3/4 x 19 3/4 in.; 753 x 504 mm), mounted to another sheet of poster board; minimal wear at edges.
Estimate: $30,000 - $50,000
Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: $30,000
21 June 2007 - New York

Mine is identical to the one listed except mine has a diamond (or feak diamond) inlaid where the ring is on Gandolf's hand. Mine aslo has a glossy finish and a black border around the outer edge.

If anyone has info on the rarity or value of the artwork I would greatly appreciate you sharing it.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  sothebys-145-2007.jpg (57.44 KB)
1030_4f329206bb42b.jpg 276X401 px

Posted on: 2012/2/8 8:17

Re: Value of artwork
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Probably not much, the http://www.tolkienshop.com/contents/en-uk/d55.html has them available for purchase

Attach file:

jpg  Capture.JPG (51.45 KB)
10_4f329b88ed24e.jpg 786X320 px

Posted on: 2012/2/8 8:58

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hello something original
Welcome
James Cauty is one of my favourite artists and I have a few versions of this poster. The copy highlighted above was as it says the orignal artwork and i am sure the subject went through many proceses to get to its final state so it is posslble numerous variations were tried pre final one. Indeed I have various 'slight' variation prints myself and seem to recall one with a diamond on it but cant check as all my items in storage at moment.

Can you post a picture whcih may help jog my memory of difference and the signature.

Re value the main factor will be based on :is it an original drawing or a very good print? Some of the latter are nowadays very very good and it takes some looking at to be sure. The fact yours has a glossy finish would suggest not an original but with no photo or sight of it it is difficult to be sure sometimes Hope helps

Posted on: 2012/2/8 9:05

Just popping in
I figured the poster prints weren't very valuable. I just thought with the board backing and stone inlay it might be a little more rare since I have not been able to find another one like it. I will try to post some pics.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 9:36

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]