Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

New Members

27 Mar, 2014 (edited)
2014-3-27 2:06:26 PM UTC

If you are a new member of this fantastic site, then :)

But please note that any new members who have Location, Signatures, Website, or Extra Info fields, that do not have any obvious Tolkien Reference will be deleted, and your account disabled!

Trotter
27 Mar, 2014
2014-3-27 6:59:57 PM UTC
I must admit I don't follow you
27 Mar, 2014
2014-3-27 7:40:47 PM UTC
No, I don't follow (do we even have this function on TCG?) Trotter either! ( )

"Disabled"? --I just delete them, Trotter. You been busy all day, here, deleting bot posts or something?

BH
27 Mar, 2014
2014-3-27 9:08:12 PM UTC
Is there no CAPTCHA for setting up new members, hence the bogus new ones and spam?
28 Mar, 2014
2014-3-28 1:19:42 PM UTC

Stu wrote:
Is there no CAPTCHA for setting up new members, hence the bogus new ones and spam?

No, the site does not have CAPTCHA set up.

Spammers need to have their accounts disabled, not deleted Khamûl, Jeremy can then block the IP address, he cannot do this if they are deleted, he no longer has access to the IP address when they are deleted.
28 Mar, 2014
2014-3-28 1:40:01 PM UTC
Lokki,

I have looked at you account, and no problem.

But if you look at Location, Signature and Extra Info fields, yours are empty, you can enter items here, but please enter Tolkien related items in these fields, if not your account will be disabled.

10_53357bd2f0a43.jpg 1024X849 px
28 Mar, 2014
2014-3-28 4:13:46 PM UTC
ok, no problem
29 Mar, 2014
2014-3-29 5:06:23 AM UTC
Thanks for moderating, Khamul and Trotter! I have been out of the country (adopting my second daughter) for the month, and mostly away from the computer and unable to stay on top of things here. Back now, and should be able to start sharing more news, and working on the site fixing things and clearing out spam bots! Hope to make that process easier as well.

I have not put in a CAPTCHA system yet, because they tend to annoy real people much more than they slow down bots. I will improve the system though, one way or another.
29 Mar, 2014
2014-3-29 6:20:09 AM UTC

Urulöké wrote:
Thanks for moderating, Khamul and Trotter! I have been out of the country (adopting my second daughter) for the month, and mostly away from the computer and unable to stay on top of things here. Back now, and should be able to start sharing more news, and working on the site fixing things and clearing out spam bots! Hope to make that process easier as well.

I have not put in a CAPTCHA system yet, because they tend to annoy real people much more than they slow down bots. I will improve the system though, one way or another.

Congratulations with regards to the adoption!

In terms of the CAPTCHA, perhaps an alternative would be some random single word Tolkien questions. Get two out of three correct and your user gets created, if not then bad luck. I imagine the number of fraudulent/bot attempts at new users significantly exceeds the number of legitimate new users (?), plus registration is a one time deal, so a few minutes extra effort at that point beats you guys having to waste time deleting users and dodgy posts down the line, I would have thought.
12 Apr, 2014
2014-4-12 10:17:06 AM UTC
I appreciate, we are looking at spam bots here, but for any new members please make sure that you choose a sensible name for your member name :)

So what is a sensible name, I don't know, but the moderators on this site, can spot non-sensible names :)

Here is an example, cD4zC3hD7u, who has been disabled so that the IP address can be blocked.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us