Tolkien Collector's Guide
Important links:

Guide to Tolkien's Letters
-
Winner of the 2019 Tolkien Society award for Best Website

eBay Best-Offer/Buy-it-now Visibility

7 Dec, 2014
2014-12-7 11:23:12 PM UTC

Has anyone noticed (recently) that auctions that have finished with a Best Offer having been accepted ("Best Offer Accepted" image below), have actually gone for the full Buy-it-now price ("Buy-it-now" image below) when you use the TCG finished auction function (www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions)?

BH

125_5484e0db887b6.jpg 1024X446 px

125_5484e0ee3cccb.jpg 1024X430 px
8 Dec, 2014
2014-12-8 12:51:12 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:
Has anyone noticed (recently) that auctions that have finished with a Best Offer having been accepted ("Best Offer Accepted" image below), have actually gone for the full Buy-it-now price ("Buy-it-now" image below) when you use the TCG finished auction function (www.tolkienguide.com/modules/auctions)?

BH

I wonder if the API has changed? eBay doesn't want you to know the best offer price (as they want you to pay more for a similar item). Same as they don't want you to be able to detect shill bidders, etc.

I notice that eBay UK now has that god-awful Global Shipping Program as well. This takes a book that would cost ten pounds to ship to NZ (tracked) cost twenty pounds, take three time as long and quite probably be opened by eBay for re-packing (without the packaging materials).

Summary: Bloody eBay.
8 Dec, 2014
2014-12-8 2:49:03 AM UTC
I'll check the API this week and see if there is anything I can adjust. They did make it harder to get last time they changed something, so they may have eliminated access to it (or just changed something because why not...)

Do let me know about these things! Or new features you might like to see.
8 Dec, 2014
2014-12-8 1:22:20 PM UTC
You can still make the accepted price visible if you print the original offer.

1207_5485a3aa38937.jpg 743X595 px
9 Dec, 2014 (edited)
2014-12-9 11:08:08 AM UTC
I'm not sure if that's correct Laurin666. When it just has "Price", that doesn't confirm it sold.

See the two images below: the first image shows a finished auction summary (sans photographs, etc); the second image, after you click further on "See original listing", confirms that it sold. Buy-it-now & Best Offer listings seem to present slightly differently, generally; but in the example I gave above, eBay is positively confirming that a price was accepted i.e. it states "£285" followed by "Best Offer accepted". Yes/no? The image you show doesn't, I don't think, confirm anything regarding the full £285 price. If you click on "See original auction" it states "Sold for" (so the item definitely sold); but it has the strike through & "Best Offer accepted". Again, this doesn't confirm what price it sold for.

Urulöké, in the first example I gave (post #1), is that £285 a confirmed price then; or is the TCG finished auction function not working? Basically, £285 (in the example) is clearly not a "Best Offer accepted" (which eBay is positively confirming); as £285 was the full Buy-it-now auction price. A Best Offer would have to be below this, by definition.

In the second example I've given, this listing had the option of Best Offer (full price was £27.99) as with example one (the presentation of these two listings in my eBay Watch List "Ended" is identical); but there is no strike through of the price (i.e. £27.99). If the first example had indeed gone for the full price, then it should, surely, present (now that it's finished) in the same way as the example two?

BH

125_5486d7f92e5b5.jpg 769X239 px

125_5486d8055c8d0.jpg 1024X360 px
9 Dec, 2014
2014-12-9 9:32:23 PM UTC
I have tested this with a lot of my own auctions and it always worked. I always offer my items with Buy-it-now & Best Offer and after the auction I print a copy for my records. And the price is always the one I have accepted before. So for me it works fine.
9 Dec, 2014
2014-12-9 11:37:53 PM UTC

Laurin666 wrote:
I have tested this with a lot of my own auctions and it always worked. I always offer my items with Buy-it-now & Best Offer and after the auction I print a copy for my records. And the price is always the one I have accepted before. So for me it works fine.

Does it behave in the same fashion for someone other than the seller, though?
10 Dec, 2014
2014-12-10 5:53:42 AM UTC

Khamûl wrote:

BH

It works the same way if I'm not logged into my account.
10 Dec, 2014 (edited)
2014-12-10 6:01:04 AM UTC
The cause appears to be that the daily update has not happened since November 18th or so, so anything that ended after that day was not checked for final status until I nudged the system. Not sure why the background process got hung up, but I will keep an eye on it to make sure it is back to normal.

1_5487e1eadd5b0.jpg 600X320 px
10 Dec, 2014
2014-12-10 9:36:31 AM UTC

Laurin666 wrote:

Khamûl wrote:

BH

It works the same way if I'm not logged into my account.

Yep, just tried it also. Handy to know - I suspect it is a bug, so might get "fixed" at some point.
Jump to Last
All original content ©2024 by the submitting authors. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us