"Modern First Editions, Manuscripts and Autograph Letters, English and Continental Literature & History"

24 May 2007 at 10.30am & 2.00pm

Viewing beforehand on
Tuesday 22 May from 9.30am to 5.30pm
Wednesday 23 May from 9.30am to 8.00pm
Thursday 24 May from 9.30am to 10.30am

247. Tolkien (J.R.R.) .The Lord of the Rings, 3 vol., first editions, first impressions, vol.III second state with sagging text and number ‘4’ on p.49, folding maps, oblated signature on front free endpaper of vol.III, all internally in very good condition, original cloth, dust-jackets, some light surface marking, spines slightly browned and dulled, vol.I & II with small closed tears to fore-corners, vol.III slightly chipped at lower fore-corners, closed tears and slight fraying to spine ends with some loss to vol.I & II, overall however very good examples, 8vo, 1954-55.
Estimates £5000 - £7000

248. Tolkien (J.R.R.) .The Lord of the Rings, 3 vol., first editions, first impressions, vol.III second state with sagging text and number ‘4’ on p.49, folding maps, no inscriptions, original cloth, minor sunning to spine ends, otherwise fine, dust-jackets, uniformly dulled at spines, some surface marking, particularly to lower panel of vol.II, vol.I splitting at upper joint with resultant closed tear to upper panel, vol.I & III slightly frayed at head of spine, all torn at foot of spines with some loss, 8vo, 1954-55.
Estimates £4000 - £5000

249. Tolkien (J.R.R.) .The Lord of the Rings, 3 vol., first editions, vol.I second impression, vol.III second state with sagging text and number ‘4’, folding maps, vol.I lacking front free endpaper and with minor running from red edging affecting top edge of map and last text f., spotting to vol.II & III endpapers and a few ff., ink inscription on front endpaper of each vol., original cloth, cocked, 1954-55; and a jacketed copy of The Silmarillion, 8vo (4)
Estimates £300 - £400

250. Tolkien (J.R.R.) .The Hobbit, eighth impression, colour frontispiece and plain illustrations by the author, map endpapers, lacking most of 1 preliminary blank f., tape mark to upper hinge, original pictorial cloth, minor edge sunning, dust-jacket, signed by the author near foot of inside front panel [see lot 490], tape marks to inside front flap, clipped at lower corners of inside flaps, small chips from corners of head of spine, 2 vertical creases, otherwise a very good example, 8vo, 1956.
Estimates £750 - £1000

493. Tolkien (J.R.R., author and philologist, 1892-1973) .Autograph Letter signed to Elsie Honeybourne, 2pp. & envelope (stamp removed), 8vo, Headington, Oxford, 18th September 1967, responding warmly to a present Miss Honeybourne has sent him, “If I dare say so a very hobbit-like kindness to send a present on you own birthday!”, and answering her questions about The Lord of the Rings, “As I said in the ‘Foreword’ to the American paperback..., I wrote The Lord of the Rings because I wished ‘to try my hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them & deeply move them’. As a guide I had only my own feelings for what is appealing or moving; and it has been a great pleasure (and a surprise) to find that so many other people have similar feelings. But no one has written me a letter more warm, and few have come near it. I am specially grateful for your pleasure in the names: I took a great deal of trouble with them”, complimenting her on her surname, “Your own name is a delightful one, and brings to me suggestion of kinship. It’s such a good name that I must, in any future more complete map of the Shire (often asked for), find a place for it. It is one of the comparatively rare place-names that means what it says: a stream, of sweet water and/or flowing through flowery-meads”, folds (2)
Estimates £1000 - £1500

494. Tolkien (J.R.R., author and philologist, 1892-1973) .Autograph Letter signed to Elsie Honeybourne, 2pp., 8vo, Headington, Oxford, 21st December 1967, discussing her surname, “I think it still probable that your father’s name nonetheless comes from near Evesham. It must be derived from a place-name; and though -Bourne (stream) is widespread in England, and occurs in Kentish names, Honeybourne is found only in Cow H. and Church H. near Evesham. There was a considerable movement and interchange between Kent and Worcestershire, largely because of the industries of fruit-growing. I hall certainly put Honeybourne on the Shire Map as soon as an opportunity of revision (much needed) occurs”, and commenting on the end of The Lord of the Rings, “I was deeply interested in your choice of passages, and quite agree about Pippin’s ride. An easing of tension was needed at the end of the ‘Book’ (but of course provided instinctively and not by planning). To ride with Gandalf must have been like being borne by a Guardian Angel, with stern gentleness a most comforting combination to children (as we all are)”, and sending a newly published story”, folds; and a small quantity of ephemera relating to Tolkien including 2 T.Ls.s. from Joy Hill, 1968, informing Miss Honeybourne that Professor Tolkien had moved from Oxford and that he was recovering from a “minor accident”, folds (sm. qty)
Estimates £800 - £1200

495. Tolkien (J.R.R., author and philologist, 1892-1973) .Autograph letter signed to an aptly Shire-sounding Mr Burrows, 1p., 16mo, n.p., 1st August 1969, discussing the signing of a copy of The Hobbit and Tolkien’s change of address & recent health issues.
Estimates £300 - £400