13 hours 12 minutes ago

Khamûl
20 hours 3 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Printed price to determine date
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
I was wondering if anyone could give me their thoughts on how effective it is to use the printed price on a book to determine its print date, at least in terms of priority. Is it a reliable indication of which book was printed first if there are no better signifiers of date?

Attach file:

png  Hobbit price change.png (205.67 KB)
4451_5781cfbee6f0a.png 281X366 px

Posted on: 2016/7/9 21:31

Re: Printed price to determine date
Shirrif
From Essex, England
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
I would think that in most cases, the higher priced items are later, but for UK books, on at least one edition of The Lord of the Rings, http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=45450, the price was cheaper for a later edition, so does not always hold true.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 0:01

Re: Printed price to determine date
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
It's difficult to know what went on with that one-volume LR (and I can't think now why I didn't give it a separate entry when the imprint changed from George Allen & Unwin to Unwin Paperbacks, as it was clearly meant to be a new edition in the publishing sense, though most of the type remained the same).

Christina and I don't have what tolkienbooks.net is calling the first state of the first impression (1978) of the Unwin Paperbacks edition, but our 16th impression (1976) of the one-volume paperback has the same cover points, including the price £3.95.

We do have a first impression (1978) with the same (Baynes) cover, now with the Unwin Paperbacks device, with a printed price on the lower cover of £5.50, and also a first impression (1978) with the film tie-in cover, with the price £2.95. I think it's a good guess that the lower price was to encourage sales, building on film publicity. Our copy of this impression with a higher price is clearly narrower, which suggests that unsold copies of the first impression were later stripped and re-covered, then trimmed at the fore-edge.

We have a third impression (1979) with the film tie-in cover, with a sticker with $9.95, evidently for sale in Canada, affixed over the price panel on the lower cover; but also a copy of the same impression, not trimmed, in the Baynes cover and priced at £4.95.

Wayne

Posted on: 2016/7/10 4:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]