13 hours 41 minutes ago

Khamûl
1 day 1 minute ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

RotK Deluxe Specimen
Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Laurel's post reminded me that I wanted to ask about this copy of RotK I picked up a few weeks ago. It's from the specimen set that Allen & Unwin's Ronald Eames asked Jarrold & Sons to put together in March 1964 when the idea of a Deluxe set of The Lord of the Rings was first being experimented with. I'm sure you've all read Deagol's article on this but just to reiterate: the book is bound in deep red Tego buckram with grey endpapers, gilt page edges all round, thicker binding boards, head and tail bands, and a grey bookmark which were all specifications supplied by Eames to Jarrolds. It is a 10th Impression. Two months after the first set was made, additional alterations were requested for the subsequent specimen set including a change in binding to black buckram.

So it seems that this book is one-of-a-kind. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any further information on it or any opinions as to its value.

Attach file:

jpg  1.jpg (49.48 KB)
4451_59557c89b6158.jpg 338X450 px

jpg  2.jpg (25.70 KB)
4451_59557c8f0d25f.jpg 224X450 px

jpg  3.jpg (83.35 KB)
4451_59557c9435f4c.jpg 338X450 px

jpg  4.jpg (29.29 KB)
4451_59557c9986485.jpg 338X450 px

Posted on: 6/29 15:18:30

Re: RotK Deluxe Specimen
Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Another great find!

Posted on: 6/29 17:17:59

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Hi
This is actually quite spooky and is part of my biggest regret.

Some years ago when I was young and not knowledgeable (not that has changed much) I was talking to a colleague at work about liking Tolkien and it turned out he had a elderly relative who had connections with George Allen and some Tolkien books . I cant recall what as didn't pay any attention at the time. Anyhow to cut a long story short he agreed to sell me some.

I even took a day off work at the time to travel to see him with
a pocket of hard earned cash. When I arrived he showed me through to his study which was crammed with books inc numerous Tolkien books.
At the time I was collecting the HOME series and he duly sold me 10,11 & 12 and a readers union set. I was buzzing.

However here is the irony -he also showed me some signed books by Tolkien and some by Christopher and started talking about sample /proof books and a full set /samples of the deluxe edition which he stressed were rare. I also recall seeing maybe 2-3 boxes that he claimed were made and not used and some of Pauline's artwork.
Of course at the time I thought they looked a bit scruffy and who would want sample books with writing all over them - gulp!!!!

It wasn't till about 2-3 years I thought OMG what have I missed. The colleague had left but I still knew the address. I went back and knocked on the door only to be greeted by a totally different person who advised they had lived there for just over 2 years. The previous owner had died and house cleared by son who lived in Australia!

It was a long journey home I can tell you but an important lesson. If you see something rare go for it as you may not get another chance

Posted on: 6/30 4:32:24

Home away from home
Group:
Shirefolk
Wow, great story, thanks for sharing that!! I'm off to Australia to hunt down the son

Posted on: 6/30 10:29:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

© 2016 TolkienGuide.com and respective authors. Contact Us