7 hours 16 minutes ago

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

The Silmarillion Comprehensive Guide
Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk
Greetings Fellow Collectors!

I am utterly a novice when it comes to collecting Tolkien books, but I am no stranger to the beautiful hobby of collecting. I have been a lifelong fan of modern and contemporary arts, antiques, Star Wars prop replicas, and etc, and I would like to transcends my love of collecting in to collecting Tolkien books!

As my wife has placed a severe limit on how much I can spend, I decided to collect all the "unique" and "rare" Silmarillion books as a start.

I have used the website prepared by Mr. Pieter himself as a guide, but I see that it lacks several of the "important and unique" pieces including the Uncorrected Proofs, Dummy Copies, Bound for Methuen version, and many other rare and unique pieces that I may not know.

What I can do is search thousands of threads on this forum to look for all the other editions, but I am certainly sure there is an authoritative source that lists all the books!

Does anyone know of such source? Thank you!

Posted on: 9/3 7:46:01

Re: The Silmarillion Comprehensive Guide
Shirrif
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif

The_Antiquarian wrote:
Greetings Fellow Collectors!

I am utterly a novice when it comes to collecting Tolkien books, but I am no stranger to the beautiful hobby of collecting. I have been a lifelong fan of modern and contemporary arts, antiques, Star Wars prop replicas, and etc, and I would like to transcends my love of collecting in to collecting Tolkien books!

As my wife has placed a severe limit on how much I can spend, I decided to collect all the "unique" and "rare" Silmarillion books as a start.

I have used the website prepared by Mr. Pieter himself as a guide, but I see that it lacks several of the "important and unique" pieces including the Uncorrected Proofs, Dummy Copies, Bound for Methuen version, and many other rare and unique pieces that I may not know.

What I can do is search thousands of threads on this forum to look for all the other editions, but I am certainly sure there is an authoritative source that lists all the books!

Does anyone know of such source? Thank you!

Tolkienbooks.net,http://tolkienbooks.net/php/gallery.php?subsection=42, is a good place to start. That doesn't list uncorrected proofs, though. After that, I'd guess Khamûl, on this site knows about as much as anyone (and probably more) about collecting Silmarillions.

Posted on: 9/3 13:13:48

(edited)

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk

Stu wrote:

Tolkienbooks.net,http://tolkienbooks.net/php/gallery.php?subsection=42, is a good place to start. That doesn't list uncorrected proofs, though. After that, I'd guess Khamûl, on this site knows about as much as anyone (and probably more) about collecting Silmarillions.

Greetings Mr. Stu,

Thank you very much for the link! After I posted my original posting, I came cross that very guide upon perusing the forum.

This is by far, the most comprehensive and most well-organized guide for a novice like me to depend on.

Thank you very much!

Posted on: 9/4 5:58:08

Shirrif
From Scotland
Group:
Shirefolk
Fellowship
Shirrif
Literally nothing beats Deagol's site.

BH

Posted on: 9/4 13:54:46

Just popping in
Group:
Shirefolk

Khamûl wrote:
Literally nothing beats Deagol's site.

BH

You venerable folks are true gentlemen. I was told that you are the authoritative figure when it comes to collecting the Silmarillion, and yet, you are here letting us know that Mr. Deagol's site trumps everything else!

May I kindly ask for the link to Mr. Deagol's site? Thank you!

Posted on: 9/5 9:34:17

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You can vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]